Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Adequate nutrition from the flax cereal combo? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=75896)

AnnetteW Wed, Dec-18-02 07:30

Adequate nutrition from the flax cereal combo?

It's definitely time to get my body functioning normally again, so I'm adding a "cereal" meal to my menu.

My cereal this morning consisted of the following:
3 T flaxmeal
4 T unprocessed wheat bran
2 T tvp
1 T butter
2 T heavy cream
1/2 c. water
2 T. atkins vanilla syrup

It came out with a total of:
cals -- 406
fat -- 30
carbs -- 23
prot -- 19
fiber -- 16 (or 7 EEC)

It just seems strange not to be eating my eggs and bacon this morning, and I'm kind of wondering which is better for me. The numbers look good I suppose.

Maybe a better question is, did you feel better when you started eating the high fiber "cereal" instead of your other breakfasts?

Lisa N Wed, Dec-18-02 09:17

Hi Annette!

I was certainly more regular when I added the flax cereal and I find that it keeps me filled up for quite a while. I don't always feel that I have to choose between the cereal and something else; if I'm hungry sometimes I'll have some cheese or an egg with it. The flax also gives you a healthy dose of Omega-3 fats which are very good for you. :thup:

shutt22 Wed, Dec-18-02 09:27

I rarely have the traditional bacon and eggs for breakfast. I eat a cereal consisting of 2 Tbsp 100% oat bran with 3 Tbsp flax meal. I'll also throw in some splenda and sometimes some cinnamon and cream. I finish off with a LC protein shake, and I'm ready to go.

I've been having this same thing for quite a while now, and my weight continues to drop. I also feel fine, and I'm more "regular".

I also have 1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain splenda-sweetened yogurt with dinner; that helps as well and is very LC. Karen introduced me to the benefits of yogurt a couple of weeks ago, and I've had it every day since.

shutt

Karen Wed, Dec-18-02 11:55

I started grooving on flax for breakfast because I needed a few more carbs when I started BFL. What I found though was it set me up for a day of wanting more sweet things, like more flax cereal.

Now I'll have it at night for a snack. A tuna salad with avocado and tomato is great for breakfast!

Karen

AnnetteW Wed, Dec-18-02 12:23

Karen, I've had "mouth hunger" all day and it's driving me crazy. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I know I need the fiber, but I feel out of control, though I haven't given in to the urge. I ended up eating a 2nd breakfast about 3 hrs later of eggs and bacon.

TeriDoodle Thu, Dec-19-02 09:00

I found this odd.... I got hungry within 2 hrs. after eating flax-o-meal cereal. A couple weeks later I made the flax-o-meal pancakes for breakfast, had 2-1/2 of them, and it held me for SEVERAL hours!! I was really surprised! Maybe because I had more pancakes than I had cereal or had more butter on the pancakes. They didn't make me crave anything later.... definitely a YMMV thing once again! It still always amazes me how different we all are!!

Karen Thu, Dec-19-02 12:13

Quote:
Karen, I've had "mouth hunger" all day and it's driving me crazy.

If you can hack it, eat it without sweetener. I would also eliminate the bran and TVP. You can also mix straight ground flax with yogurt, and it's not that bad.

Karen

doreen T Sat, Dec-21-02 10:31

Definitely eliminate the wheat bran ... it's not the great panacaea that cereal manufacturers would have us believe ;) It inhibits the absorption of minerals, esp. calcium and iron, it still has 4g digestible carbs per ¼ cup, and tastes awful :p

OTOH, one ounce of natural unblanched almonds lightly toasted and coarsely chopped, has 3g digestible carbs, 5g protein and 15g monounsaturate fat. Adds a nice crunch, and tastes delicious.

I also add a scoop of low-carb protein powder (one scoop = 15g prot) .. improves the texture, and boosts the nutrition :) I prefer unflavoured, but you could use chocolate or banana .. whatever you like. The added protein gives a little more "staying power".

4 Tbsp flax meal
1 oz toasted almonds
1 scoop whey protein
1/2 c. not-quite-boiling water
dot vanilla, cinnamon
sweetener as desired
2 Tbsp heavy cream

Total: 501
Fat: 39
Carbs: 18
Fiber: 12
(ECC: 6)
Protein: 30

Doreen

Karen Sat, Dec-21-02 10:54

Quote:
I also add a scoop of low-carb protein powder

Yes! I sometimes add protein powder too, to boost the protein. In addition to almonds, coconut is also delicious. I also add a drop of natural maple extract. :yum:

Karen