Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   WOW! L-Glutamine - is this for real?! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48968)

tomoolson Thu, Jun-27-02 23:45

WOW! L-Glutamine - is this for real?!

I have been working out a lot (mainly volleyball and recently added the Firm). Well, I get sore the next day. A lot. It seems like the soreness increased over the years, and sometimes, I would have to take advil just so I could sleep through the night. I just assumed I was just getting old (I am 43 now) and there was no way around it.

I have been coming to this board a lot and recently read about L-Glutamine for muscle recovery, so I bought a bottle of it (powder from Jarrow) last night, worked out, and took 6 gram of it before going to bed. You know what? My body didn't hurt as much through the night, so I took another 6gram when I got up this morning, and I didn't hurt at all until about noon. I just couldn't believe it!!

Is L-Glutamine supposed to start working right away like that?! I mean, with some things, it takes days, sometimes weeks to start working. Am I getting some kind of placebo effect here?

I sometimes get sore all over for no reason even when I don't exercies (it's a cyclic thing), but now, I think I'd try L-Glutamine when that time comes.

If this is not some freaky placebo thing, this supplement is AMAZING!!!!!!

Tomo

Natrushka Fri, Jun-28-02 06:54

Re: WOW! L-Glutamine - is this for real?!

Quote:
Originally posted by tomoolson
If this is not some freaky placebo thing, this supplement is AMAZING!!!!!!

It really is amazing. It's the one supplement I would recommend over any other. It doesn't just help with DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) either - it boosts immune functions, it curbs cravings, it can help sufferers of IBS, Crohn's and other GI diseases.

Glutamine: The Essential "Non-Essential" Amino Acid

Nat

HopeToday Fri, Jun-28-02 19:34

YES - I experienced that ALSO!!

I did LBWO yesterday and my hamstings were already sore by evening - I took my L- Glut at bedtime and NO SORENESS in the morning :D

paige17257 Mon, Jul-01-02 13:59

l-glut or taurine

i just read about l-glut. can this raise my blood sugar? also, would it be better to take taurine instead. is l-glut ok, in moderation? is that always the key?
paige17257

tomoolson Tue, Jul-02-02 00:42

Paige,

I have no idea if this raises blood sugar. I have a monitor, but it doesn't seem to raise mine. Why do you suspect it might raise your blood sugar?

Maybe Nat can answer the question (Nat, thanks for the link about L-Glutamine. It seems we can get a lot of side benefits for taking it for muscle recovery.) I did see something somewhere about diabetics taking caution when taking L-glutamine but I don't remember where I read it or why that was. Maybe you or someone else can shed some light on this... I am new to all this, and many of you are very very technical here and I am learning a lotl!!

Thanks,

Tomo

Cinderella Tue, Jul-09-02 09:28

Nat..what an awesome article. My daughter takes an anticonvulsant drug(actually 3)....I'm putting her on this as well as myself.

good reading...cin

Deirdre Wed, Jul-10-02 02:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinderella
Nat..what an awesome article. My daughter takes an anticonvulsant drug(actually 3)....I'm putting her on this as well as myself.

good reading...cin

Did you see this part:
Precautions: Even though glutamine is nontoxic, it is recommended that you consult a health practitioner before using high doses. Diabetics, cancer patients, patients with advanced liver disease, and those with neurological diseases including stroke and epilepsy should use glutamine only with the permission of their doctor. :exclm:

My daughter is also on meds for epilepsy and I'm a little paranoid about supplements causing seizures (past experience). Other than that it sounds like a wonder supplement! I think I'm going to try it myself and see if it helps with cravings and energy level.