Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   horrible sugar cravings (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153369)

sheron Wed, Dec-10-03 13:39

horrible sugar cravings

I started the Atkins diet two days ago and I am obsessing about eating sugars and carbs. I do not think I could stand it for two weeks. I need someone to talk to about this.
I do not think I could make it without a buddy to encourage me.
Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sheron

shortstuff Wed, Dec-10-03 13:43

Sheron, you CAN do it. I went from at least 1 liter of regular Mt. Dew a day with loads of other junk food to 20 carbs a day. It works, you CAN do it.

Just tell yourself you can and you can. Follow induction the way it's written and by day 4 or 5 you should have kicked those cravings right out of sight.

One thing that really helps, GET THE JUNK OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! If you have other folks at home and can't ditch all of the carb and sugar laden stuff, then put it where you can't see it and can't reach it.

YOU GO GIRL.

shortstuff

nawchem Wed, Dec-10-03 14:01

sheron, I am going through the same thing after cheating. The only way I'm surviving is by eating every 3 hours. In a few days the addiction will be broken and we will FREE :yay:

Come visit my journal, if you need to talk.
nancy

sjkling Wed, Dec-10-03 14:01

you can do it! i ate a lot of sugar free jello with whipped cream to help control those urges! you can get through it and then you will never have those cravings again! well, at least i haven't craved anything for over 6 months! it is pretty easy after three days!

Rosebud Wed, Dec-10-03 16:01

Hi Sheron,

Try taking some L-Glutamine.
Dr Atkins suggests 500 to 1000mg 3 times a day to prevent cravings. 500mg 3 times daily worked brilliantly for me - really removed those hideous cravings. :)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

macdaddy Wed, Dec-10-03 19:53

hey Sheron,

One behavior modification technique to counter a craving for something sweet is to go for something sour. If you don't have a heart ailment, dill pickles work pretty good---bt they are one gram carb per 65 grams.

tummyhurts Thu, Dec-11-03 10:59

whew

i know the feeling. I am craving something sweet really bad right now, but the payoff of me losing several pounds before christmas is here is worth it, just stay strong.

its amazing how foods that are addictive and are coming out of your system are similar to detox of drugs (except the convulsions)

Kristine Thu, Dec-11-03 14:37

Hang in there, Sheron! :cheer:

Doing better today? It will get much easier. You just have to tough out the first few days. Make sure you have lots of "legal" snacks around like hard boiled eggs, cheese and veggies, and when you're hungry, eat.

potatofree Thu, Dec-11-03 19:47

<nodnod> That first week of induction, I nearly mugged my youngest child for his Oreo cookie.. and I HATE Oreos.... :lol:

This too shall pass...