Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Love the cauliflower hashbrowns (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=427109)

Old Iron Sun, Apr-24-11 08:19

Love the cauliflower hashbrowns

I just can't tell you how much I love cauliflower hashbrowns. Had them last night and they were soo good I made them again this morning with my steak and eggs. Hashbrowns and pizza are two things that I have missed the most. But now I don't have to, as these hashbrowns are just as good, if not better, than the old starchy ones. And as I move up the rung on OWL I know there are several very good recipes for pizza in my future.

scthgharpy Sun, Apr-24-11 16:38

hAshbrowns are a guilty pleasure for me too. how doyou make them?

Kisal Sun, Apr-24-11 17:21

I make them from radishes. :yum:

kaylakala Sun, Apr-24-11 17:41

Sounds good! Now we need the recipe!

Old Iron Sun, Apr-24-11 18:00

I'm sorry I thought this was common knowledge on ALL forums. Wow, a Newbie like me gets to share something new. I got this off another forum that I had to walk away from because I wasn't following DANDR. I just got tired of all the s&#t they were giving me.

What makes these so great is that crunchy, crisp taste that I missed at breakfast.

CAULIFLOWER HASH BROWNS
12 ounces fresh cauliflower, grated, about 1/2 medium head
4 slices bacon, chopped
3 ounces onion, chopped, about 1/2 cup
1-2 tablespoons butter, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a medium-large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon and onion until they just start to brown. Add the cauliflower; cook and stir until the cauliflower is tender and nicely browned all over. You can add a couple tablespoons of butter during cooking. This will speed up the browning and add nice flavor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings
Do not freeze

Per Serving: 116 Calories; 9g Fat; 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

WereBear Sun, Apr-24-11 19:13

I've made hash browns from grated turnip too; nice!

kaylakala Sun, Apr-24-11 19:26

wow that sounds so good. I made my family hash browns for easter breakfast. hhmmmm I'll have mine tomorrow thanks!!

Shoot anything with bacon and butter can't go wrong!!

Neanderpam Sun, Apr-24-11 19:36

I'm a long time lowcarber and I've never made those (usually I tell myself I'm going to try something new with cauliflower..but, inevitably I use it to make the fauxtato salad). But I JUST bought a head...and I WILL make these tomorrow morning.

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Are they ok reheated?

algts Sun, Apr-24-11 19:40

Wow, after all this time I have missed hash brown recipes--thanks, I will have to try them.

Old Iron Sun, Apr-24-11 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
I'm a long time lowcarber and I've never made those (usually I tell myself I'm going to try something new with cauliflower..but, inevitably I use it to make the fauxtato salad). But I JUST bought a head...and I WILL make these tomorrow morning.

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Are they ok reheated?

I don't know. I always cut down the recipe for a single serving. I would think they would be fine if you reheated them in a frying pan with butter.

cldade55 Mon, Apr-25-11 07:09

Oh yum. Thanks for the recipe.

scthgharpy Mon, Apr-25-11 10:53

Huh. How do you grate a cauliflower? Very carefully?

I tried the turnip thing, dont like the flavor. DANG I guess Im picky. Im making polisn and sauerkraut this week, maybe Ill try some fried "fauxtatoes" with dinner.

chermac Mon, Apr-25-11 11:01

Love this idea, thanks for the recipe. :)

gweny70 Mon, Apr-25-11 11:01

I'm really looking forward to trying this! Thanks for sharing!!

CMCM Mon, Apr-25-11 13:58

I've NEVER seen a recipe for this before, but it sounds wonderful and I love cauliflower anyway! Gotta try this one...thanks for posting the recipe!!!!