Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   How accurate? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178692)

tammy565 Thu, Apr-15-04 07:27

How accurate?

I was just wondering how accurate everyone is with their weighing of food. Does it help to measure everything accurately and give quicker/better results? I have not been accurately weighing (mainly because my scales aren't very good) but that's because I think mentally for me it would seem too much like a diet to be so accurate and it might put me off. I have just started a fitday page and finding it hard to enter foods as i need exact portions so I thought i'd find out what other people do. I will try and pay more attention to my portions but do you really have to measure lettuce and stuff like that? If so is it by the cup? and is that loose or packed in? I'm a little confused?!:daze:

Thanks,
Tammy

tcastro Thu, Apr-15-04 08:03

I generally estimate mine.

Its not really worth it to get exact. The difference could just be a couple calories and these diets aren't generally about counting calories.

The # of carbs in my ingredients is the only thing I try to be very accurate with.

Instead of spending an additional 10min/day getting EXACT with your measurements, take that 10min and exercise :)

tofi Thu, Apr-15-04 08:07

I really wouldn't worry about the lettuce measurements. It would be hard to go overboard on lettuce of any type. So just eyeball it after it's shredded. 2 cups is about what you could hold on the palms of your hands with your fingers spread.

You have only a few pounds to lose - 12 if your stats are correct. So your losing is going to be slow from here on in. Take the time to learn how to eat LC forever and you won't ever regain. There are many health benefits that you may not notice until you have blood work done.

Be prepared to revise your goal weight as you get closer. LCers tend to be heavier by a few pounds because LCing keeps the lean sleek muscle while getting rid of the fluffy fat. So you might be small enough while weighing a bit more than you expected.

potatofree Thu, Apr-15-04 08:23

I generally "guesstimate". I did find it helpful to measure or weigh ONCE, just to get an idea in my head of what a serving should look like of meat and veggies.

DianaO Thu, Apr-15-04 08:40

I used to measure it all! Since then I have learned to Guess. 8 months on it I think I have an idea! LOL

Vicki B. Thu, Apr-15-04 09:00

I measured things in the beginning, but after two months, you get used to what 2 cups look like. Just like there are days when you don't have to check carb counts because you are used to the foods you are eating and know by heart what the carb count is for cheese, eggs, etc. I don't worry about calories at all.

Good luck to you!

Vicki B.

freckles Thu, Apr-15-04 20:44

Yes, I agree....measure first and learn what it all looks like and then stop worrying about measuring. It's better than finding out later that you've been over estimating. ;)

JuliePYT Thu, Apr-15-04 20:52

Measuring is good

Yes, I think measuring and weighing is good until you get an idea what portions look like. I always have a hard time because my head wants to believe that a 2 pound steak is actually 4 ounces of meat :D I have been at this for over a year and still measure and weigh sometimes. I'm 40 years old and have been a professional dieter since the age of 8. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me long term.

Hope this helps. :wiggle:

tammy565 Fri, Apr-16-04 02:21

Thanks for the advice. I have been weighing some things to get an idea of amounts so I will do this more with all the foods until I can guesstimate well.

dazzlin182 Fri, Apr-16-04 03:18

i guesstimate too (like in sbd approx a tennis ball size etc) i weigh tho when i dont remember or just makin sure

Calvin Fri, Apr-16-04 13:39

Weighing is slightly more accurate. Many professional cooks (well bakers) prefer weighing ingredients vs. using measuring cups.