Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Hello folks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169792)

DanMo Sat, Feb-28-04 13:16

Hello folks

Hope its okay to cross post this, I put it in the general section too:

Here is bit about me, so I don't feel so voyeuristic reading so much about all of you without sharing a bit. I'm a 30 year old male living in Missouri. I've been overweight most of my life. Both my parents had weight problems (to a lesser degree) but both of them dealt with it later in life (my mother using Atkins which I only learned a few months ago.)

Back in early 1997, on the advice of my doctor I went on a traditional low fat, low cal diet (he was an Atkin's skeptic). I lost about 65 pounds in 5 months. It was incredibly hard to stick with but I did it.....for a while.

In July of 1997, I graduated from college and the following month I started law school. Those of you who have been there know what I mean when I say that the first year of law school is NOT conducive to dieting. I picked up every bad habit in the book. I started drinking caffeinated beverages as if they were fuel to keep me awake to study more. I completely stopped caring what I ate because of the stress and simple lack of time. I'd skip lunch and dinner doing a paper or preparing for the next day of classes and then end up buying Oreos at the gas station at 2 in the morning to curb my hunger so I could sleep for 4 hours then get up, chug a 20 ounce glass containing half milk, half espresso and 3 tablespoons of sugar, and do it all over again. Hell, I even started smoking some (but smoked my last cigarette on May 18, 2000, graduation day, thankfully.) Basically everyone I know from law school either gained weight or in the case of some female classmates became anorexic. Healthy lifestyles just weren't part of it.

In 3 years of law school I pretty much gained back everything I'd lost prior to that and about 10 pounds to boot. Anyway, to make a long story short I ended up deciding that being a lawyer wasn't for me and I fell back on my computer/network skills for a career. I love the education I recieved, but the practice just wasn't for me. I can really understand why lawyers have the highest suicide rate of any profession.

So here, I am. I recently decided it was time to do something about my weight problem again, this time for good.

Today is day 9 of my journey toward the new me. My results so far? Well, for starters the cravings are gone for the most part. I have some now and then, but they are fleeting, not the all consuming cravings that I had when I was a carb junkie. I have a lot more energy. I've started my exercise program by walking about a mile a day. I'll ramp that up as I go on. I'm finding it much easier to wake up in the morning, I don't feel all cloudy headed.

As for weight loss, I'm avoiding the scales for now. I'm going strictly by how my clothes fit and how I feel. If I'm losing inches and feel more energetic, I don't need the numerical reinforcement. However, yesterday I was able to button up a shirt that I hadnt' been able to button since early in my second year of law school. It still doesn't fit well, but in a month I bet I'll be wearing it.

In closing, I'd like to thank the hosts and admins of this forum. Its a great place both for inspiration and information. In fact, its almost too much information to sift through. Thanks for listening and I look forward to participating here.

cori Sat, Feb-28-04 16:01

Welcome DanMo! You'll find the nicest folks here. And information overload is correct. But the good thing is, you'll always find what you need! Welcome! :D

AFwife Sat, Feb-28-04 16:07

Welcome aboard, you in for the ride of a lifetime.

Everyone here is great and real supportive, you've landed in the right place.

Good luck and hang in there.

josiekat Sat, Feb-28-04 16:29

Hiya DanMo,

Welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing your story with us....looking forward to following your success!

cheeze Sat, Feb-28-04 16:33

Welcome! and congrats for making a tough but probably wise career choice. I am the IT Director for a law firm so I know what you are NOT missing.

Heath Sat, Feb-28-04 16:57

Howdy Dan. Sounds like you've learned a lot of tough lessons. I've been a lot of the places you are (but I contemplated law school to get out of sw development) and know how tough this is.

You obviously have self will, a maniacal devotion and know what the bottom looks like even if you haven't hit it. Treat your health as seriously as you treated the other things you've been successful at and you will rock at this.

And I hate the scale too...

H

PS, if you really want to thank the admins and staff, click on the contributing member link on the home page :)

Charran Sat, Feb-28-04 18:10

Hi Dan..Welcome to the TDC and thanks for sharing your story!

ChrisCanDo Sat, Feb-28-04 18:52

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck with your weight loss journey. We have to put our health first and its not always easy to do! Hope you've found a career and a lifestyle to make you happy and healthy :)
Welcome,
Christy

diemde Sat, Feb-28-04 20:46

Hi again Dan! :wave: Glad you found us over here. I highly recommend starting a journal to track your progress. The journals are a great way to stay in touch with the folks you meet on the board. Good luck in your weight loss journey!

hummelda Sun, Feb-29-04 05:04

Hi Dan,

A warm welcome to LC and to the forum. You have great determination and will succeed!!! Looking forward to hearing of your successes!

Chairface Sun, Feb-29-04 05:15

Hi there Dan,

Welcome to these forums! I'm sure you'll find motivation, inspiration and support here like I do. Thanks for sharing your story, it certainly sounds familiar to me!

You may want to consider starting a journal thread for yourself. Its a great way for people to answer questions directly to you, and another motivational tool to keep things going steadily towards your goals.

Again, Welcome :wave:

tulips Sun, Feb-29-04 09:44

Welcome Dan!
I believe it's the information and SUPPORT that have contributed so largely to my success thus far! I, too, would like to applaud the admins and hosts!!!
Good luck!

itsgottago Sun, Feb-29-04 10:08

You will love it here! Everyone is helpful and supportive! Good luck on your journey.

ItaliaGirl Sun, Feb-29-04 11:00

Welcome :wiggle:

brdgrl Sun, Feb-29-04 11:34

Welcome Dan,
I am all about refusing the scale (see my intro post). I did finally break down and get one (over a month into my journey) and received good news from it!
I second what everyone is saying about the support you will get from this list. All have been very kind a supportive to me.
As far as careers, all I can say is GOOD FOR YOU. I did something similar in my life. I started college as a Polymer Scientist and ended up with a dual degree in English Lit and Philosophy. It was the best decision I have ever made, and your choice seems just as good for you.
We are all looking forward to hearing your success story and helping with questions.
Welcome again,
Birdgirl