Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Anyone had problems with teeth on low carb? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=46859)

bluesky Fri, Jun-07-02 06:52

Anyone had problems with teeth on low carb?

I was at a playgroup and some of us were talkiing about low carb eating. (At least 3 of us are doing either SP, Atkins or something else). A mom who is a dental hygenist jumped in & was very anti-low carb. Her biggest negative was that in her job she keeps seeing patients who are low-carbing and their teeth are a mess (heavy plaque buildup/ needing lots of scraping).
Anyone else hear of this or experience it??

Janice Fri, Jun-07-02 08:09

the opposite, actually!

The dental hygenist at my dentist's office commented that less sugar = less plaque, simple as that. She started the conversation by commenting that she could tell I had a good diet by the consistancy of my saliva, which is watery. She said that people who consume alot of sugar/refined/simple carbohydrates tend to have "ropey" (gooey) saliva. I told her that I try not to eat sugar, bread, pasta, or refined rice and she told me that was the reason I had so little tartar build up. Scaling, for the first time, was a breeze!

This makes sense to me.

Janice

Freeatlast Fri, Jun-07-02 08:37

Just for the record, I HAVE noticed that I'm getting a lot more plaque than I've had before( if plaque is the creamy sticky stuff that brushes off, rather than the hard scaly stuff that doesn't) . My carb content is usually below 20g per day and never goes above 30g and I haven't touched sugar in months. I've been low carbing for several months and have noticed the difference in the last two. (Saliva consistency is not something I've noticed - yeuck!!) Don't know what that all means ......

Pat S. Fri, Jun-07-02 10:55

I just had my teeth cleaned and and the hygenist asked me what I had been doing she didn't have much to clean my 45 min appointment turned in to 15 :cheer: As for sore teeth when I lowfat lowcalorie diet my teeth get so sore I have a hard time chewing. I am really pleased at how well I feel on this WOE there are alway nay sayers out there no mater what you do. :wave:

lisaf Fri, Jun-07-02 14:29

Haven't had any personal experience...but I do remember Natrushka commenting that her dentist was really impressed with her teeth since lo-carbing...

Seems like this might be a YMMV thing!

Lisa

DebPenny Sat, Jun-08-02 17:14

I've always had less tartar than most and not much plaque, but since low-carbing, it's gotten even better. And not only that, my teeth are whiter! (Although that's probably because I stopped drinking tea instead of water ;) ).

;-Deb

clodagh Mon, Jun-10-02 03:13

hi

I have been having more problems with my teeth since low carbing and I have made an appt with the Dentist so we shall see.

I have also had a lot of mouth ulcers in the past 2 weeks. Someone suggested that there's a link between eating a lot of peanuts and mouth ulcers.

so that might be it. that might also be causing the problems with my teeth.

Clo

Pat S. Mon, Jun-10-02 09:08

Clodagh,
I now if I eat walnuts I have sores all over my mouth so it may be the nuts or tomatoes with all their acid can do the same thing.