Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   2 unrelated questions: bloating and kiwis (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=49083)

guerita Sat, Jun-29-02 10:43

2 unrelated questions: bloating and kiwis

I have 2 UNRELATED questions.

First is, what do Dr. S and you guys think about eating kiwis? I have been eating them a lot, they are small, not too high in carbs (between 9 and 11 grams) and easy to take with me to work for my desert after lunch. I don't eat them alone of course, only after a meal or if I do eat them as a snack with cream cheese.

I know that berries and melons are the best, but I haven't been able to buy strawberries in over two weeks and cannot just live off of canteloupes : ) for my fruit intake.

Second question is, I really bloat up after most meals. I haven't always been like this. My partner likes to point out that he didn't sign up for this when we got together 2.5 years ago :daze: I bloat up least after breakfast (eggs usually) and most after dinner. It is really weird, I end up looking like I am 2 months pregnant. Quite frustrating cause I am blessed with a flat tummy except when I eat : ) I know about certain veggies causing gas, etc especially when they are raw but I almost get the feeling it doesn't really matter what I eat. Is this a girl thing???? My sweetie can pack away an entire large pizza and his belly won't budge.

Thanks,
Guerita

caverjen Sat, Jun-29-02 15:12

Kiwifruit is fine as far as I know. They are on the favorable list for the Zone diet. I also use them for a quick carb. I have problems with bloating if my meal is high in veggies, particularly after dinner. It is worse if they are raw, but I get it from cooked veggies as well.

Jen

judy130 Mon, Jul-01-02 08:48

Guerita
Do you find that, if you are hungry and then eat a big meal, you get bloated? This seems to happen to me. If I wait ages in between meals and get really hungry, my tummy swells up like a balloon when I eat, no matter what the meal consists of. I now eat six small meals (when possible) and it helps quite a bit.

Good luck with your WOE - it does work!

Judy

guerita Mon, Jul-01-02 20:31

Thanks for the replies guys.

Judy - I have another question, I notice you live in the UK. Can you buy Splenda there?

Thanks!

judy130 Tue, Jul-02-02 03:02

Hi Guerita
I don't think you can, but have a look in the UK forum. When I gave up eating sugar, I thought I wouldn't try anything sweet, because I am so weak-willed, my cravings would start up. I just do without any puddings or sweets but have fruit when I fancy something sweet.

Dr Schwarzbein also asks that we don't use aspartame. Though I try to avoid sugar and sweeteners, I think my low-carb protein bar has some sweetener in it, but not aspartame.

I have seen something called Slenda (trade name) but I'm not sure what it is. There's also something called Stevia sold in USA which is a herbal sweetener but unavailable here. Sorry I can't be more help.

Judy

Bloom Tue, Jul-02-02 05:16

:lol: When i saw the topics title i thought maybe you were (hopefully) another 'Kiwi' (New Zealander) like me :D then you were staight out with the question on eating them and I thought "WHAT" :eek: then I clicked :rolleyes: