Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Day 4 Induction...sick sick sick (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105588)

berkley98 Thu, May-15-03 11:45

Day 4 Induction...sick sick sick

I'm so sick. Is this normal? I'm down 7lbs since Monday.

I feel pukey and can't eat, I'm cold and then hot and shakey and tired. I've got a lovely set of zits and yucky feeling hair. Am I detoxing? or do I maybe have the flu? I haven't had a flu in a hundred years!!

Will this go away? I can't eat and I know that's not good for any diet to starve but I'm just not hungry and the thought of meat make me want to be ill!!

Any suggestions??

berk

jedswife Thu, May-15-03 11:53

sounds like you just caught a bug.

the only thing i noticed the first week was cravings.

graphiste Thu, May-15-03 12:10

welcome fellow albertan!

the first few days i did feel kinda weird too
lethargic and tires, bad mood, extra long period but by the end of the first week it was a total turna around i felt great

give it a few days but i think either your body is getting rid of all the bad junk in it and adjusting to the LC way or you did get a flu/cold whatever germs are floating around today!

take the long weekend and relax but maybe eat a bit more fat - like nummy cream cheese...
all that extra fat has really helped my seriosuly overprocessed hair!

Nannjm Thu, May-15-03 12:19

You may need to drink even more water--Are you taking vitamins? Try the Atkins shake mix, it has all you need, plus potassium. If meat turns your stomach, try chicken or turkey with veggies.
If you lost that much, it was water from carbs. You may need to increase your carbs a few days, up to 30 and see if you feel better.
The hot feeling is normal :)
See how you feel in a day or so. You can always call the Atkins center and they will help you figure it out. Atkinscenter.com.
Hope you feel better.
Nan

Tracy916 Thu, May-15-03 12:22

YOu might be sick after all - but you can still take nourishment - Look for chicken or beef broth with no sugar. I used that when I was sick a while ago. Swanson's canned chicken broth worked for me! You do need to try to eat something.

Hope you feel better soon!

berkley98 Thu, May-15-03 12:53

Thanks for all the responses!!

I've been taking a multi vitamin, cal/mag, chondroiten (for joints) and vit c. My MV wasn't a very good one for minerals tho so just today I went to the Drug/Herb store and the pharmacist gave me a new MV that's loaded w/lots of stuff...potass and chromium and everything else. Hopefully that works.

I think I'm ok w/the water. I'm at 12+ glasses a day. I was already drinking about 8 a day before Atkin's and now w/no carbs i'm even thirstier.

I'm having a hard enough time getting my carbs up to 20!! I only had half a chicken breast for dinner last night w/5 slices of cucumber and I was full!! 30 would be impossible!! I'll give it until Saturday and if I haven't started feeling better then I'll call Atkins or something.

I can't wait til this is over because I'm having a hard time feeling good about the wt. loss when I feel so crappy!!

Thanks for the support!

berk

Tiggerdy Thu, May-15-03 13:23

You may just be going through detox. I had most of your symptoms for the first 4-5 days of induction-- I also had a low grade headache that lasted for 6 days. :rolleyes: Damn carb withdrawal.

Anyhoo, give it a few more days and you should see major improvements. The only way you wouldn't feel any better is if you actually do have a cold of some sort.

Hang in there and keep up the good work!
Nikki :daizy: