Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Atkins wasn't for me i'm afraid (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=81441)

Ginge Mon, Jan-20-03 06:11

Atkins wasn't for me i'm afraid

I must admit at being quite disappointed overall.

I am not questioning the facts or the weight loss but the selling point where you should be able to eat as much as you like from a choice of many great foods.

I was initally sold on the idea I wouldn't need to look at Fat or Calories but I found myself standing in a supermarket comparing Tins of Tomatoes for Carbs ??

I'd truned from an obsession in counting fat and calories to an obsession of counting Carbs !

The day I came off it was the day when I almost passed out and felt dizzy all day...A Feeling I don't want to repeat.

I also found myself eating less and less as I started feeling depressed eating Meat , Eggs and Fatty Foods...At times I felt Physically Sick.

I've Switched to Weight Watchers time to eat programme for Men which allows me to eat what I want when I want but keep to the points.

I feel so much better. I still managed to lose 8 pounds in the 1st 3 days on WW.

I have spoken with Many people on Weight Watchers in the UK who have tried Atkins and have come off it for similar reasons.

Sorry to say that the programme was not for me. Maybe it's the differences in the UK and US Diet that did it.

Anyway good luck whatever Diet Programme you choose.

kdavis84 Mon, Jan-20-03 08:03

Sorry to hear about the problems you had on the Atkins program. Glad to see that WW is doing good for you.

Have you had a medical check up before doing the Atkins? Just wondering. It is recommended before starting any program. Thought maybe there was a health problem that may have caused the adverse reaction to the diet. Please keep us posted on the WW program.

Lisa N Mon, Jan-20-03 16:08

George...

I'm sorry that you didn't give it more of a chance than you did, but I'm glad that you found something that you can work with and feel comfortable with, although it seems to me that you are just trading counting carbs for counting "points". Without knowing what you were eating and how much and what types of supplements you were taking, it's difficult to say what may have caused the results you got.
It's very normal to feel out of sorts and sometimes downright awful during carb withdrawal the first 3-5 days and many people don't make it through that stage, so don't feel like you're the only one.
I wish you success with the weight loss program you have chosen. :)

Cinderella Thu, Jan-23-03 09:47

I wish you luck. Keep us posted..

hugs...cin

shannonlea Thu, Jan-23-03 20:46

hello

I believe that you quit while going through carb withdrawals and that is why you felt bad. I did that the first time. I felt horrible and really just gave up. The second time around after doing a lot more research I learned that the sick feelings will pass. I still had headaches, nausea.. and body aches ,but after week 2 I felt AMAZING! This is my 7th week and I can tell you I never count calories. I eat a lot! Way more than most people on here do. Other night I had 6 boneless pork chops and a huge salad.. YES 6! I kept going back for 2nds.. 3rds... etc. I have never eaten soo much I swear as I have on Atkins. I'm sorry this did not work for you. We all have to find our individual plan which works for our own body. Everyone is different. Good luck with WW. Take care!

tofi Fri, Jan-24-03 21:49

I wanted to wish you great success and hope that the plan you have chosen continues to work for you. I wonder if you are on some medication that interfered with your weight loss when on Atkins? Most prescriptions have an adverse effect on the rate of loss.

I agree with what was suggested above - that the withdrawal effects can be pretty awful for the first week. Perhaps a less strict LC plan would be a better choice. Atkins 2 week Induction is the most restrictive phase of LCing and other plans start at higher carb levels so the withdrawal is less drastic.

I never could stick to Weight Watchers but I hope it works for you. The important thing is that you are still working on improving your health.

All the best. :wave: