Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Weight bouncing! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=50638)

nana0523 Sun, Jul-14-02 13:12

Weight bouncing!

Hi,

I have been on the Atkins diet for about 3 weeks now. I keep my carbs around 25 gms right now. I started at 177 and dropped to 162 really fast. I got on the scales the other day and had gained 3 pounds and I hadn't changed anything. I also stalled at about 2 weeks an didn't lose anything for 3 days. I do allow for water weight. Is this normal. I also use the Ketostix and I stay around the third and fourth color and occasionlly pop to the fifth. Is this normal? It is really depressing to lose and then gain it back .....

Thanks,
Nana :confused:

Rosebud Sun, Jul-14-02 21:34

Hi Kathy, and welcome! :wave:

What you are going through is totally normal. It's just a pity that the good Dr A doesn't spell out a few points like this one!

If you click on Karen's Hot Links at the top of this thread, there's a section called "Weight and Weighing" which has several earlier threads where this has all been beautifully explained.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

nana0523 Mon, Jul-15-02 06:24

Weight Bouncing

Thank you Rosebud,,,,

I hate to look DUMB ,,, but for the life of me I can not find Karen's Hot Links anywhere. Do you have the url?

Nana

Rosebud Mon, Jul-15-02 15:44

Hi Kathy,

Just go back to Newbies' Questions. Then look at the top of the list.
First, there is an announcement, "How to Start a Journal" (have a read of that - starting a journal is a splendid idea), then underneath that is a "sticky" (just means it's stuck there permanently) called "Hot Links." There is a wealth of information to be had in those links!

Cheers, Nana Kathy!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Marlaine Tue, Jul-16-02 11:26

Hi there Kathy....

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that what you are experiencing is completely normal. If you take a look at the beginning of my journal, you will see that I went through the same thing. I know just how frustrating it can be, but you will also find that with persistance and patience and continuing to follow the plan as written, you can and will succeed.

Hang in there....just don't give up!!

HTH
Marlaine

Kristine Tue, Jul-16-02 15:39

Hiya! It's possible that you're putting on some muscle, especially if you're exercising. I think it was Protein Power where I read this: because of low-fat dieting, many women's diets are chronically lacking in protein, so now that you're feeding your muscles, they're rebuilding themselves. :thup:

I'd recommend that you measure yourself, or find some pieces of "measurement" clothing. :) Good luck!

nana0523 Tue, Jul-16-02 16:46

Thanks for all your input,,,,, I am also a little confused on the carb vs. fiber thing. I noticed on Atkins candy that they tell you to only use 2 gm etc, and on some of his other products the same thing. But on other products it doesn't mention it. Can you ALWAYS subtract the fiber?

Nana

TeriDoodle Wed, Jul-17-02 11:09

Ketostix

Quote:
I also use the Ketostix and I stay around the third and fourth color and occasionlly pop to the fifth. Is this normal?

I just wanted to say that if you're registering such a dark color, it COULD mean you are not drinking enough water... make sure you're drinking at LEAST 64 oz per day.... 80 would be even better! :) You only need to register a "trace" to know you're in ketosis.

nana0523 Wed, Jul-17-02 11:17

TerriDoodle,

Thanks for the reply. Can part of that 64 or 80 oz be tea? I remember in WW it could apply .....

I haven't lost anything in about 4 days,,, starting to get really depressed. I have been down this road of not being able to lose so many times. I thought this one was going to work. I am stuck at 12 lbs. "again" ....

Nana :daze:

TeriDoodle Wed, Jul-17-02 13:57

Well, if you drink caffeinated drinks you definitely need to be drinking at least 80+ oz per day because of their diuretic effect.

Please note that caffeine taxes the liver which plays a large part in the efficient metabolism of fats.....so the more you can cut down on the caffeine, the better.

You really cannot afford to "get depressed" because you haven't lost any weight in 4 days!! Girlfriend!! Have a little more patience than that! Ask any long-term low-carber about their plateaus and stalls and 99% of them will tell you they've had plenty! A plateau after 2-3 weeks is VERY common, especially after a rapid loss of 12 lbs. The body is being asked to make lots of adjustments, so have patience with it, ok? And do NOT make the mistake of lowering your calories or fat during these times of slower weight loss....that's the old mindset that less is better....doesn't apply to low-carbing!!

Hey, listen.... I had a 7 week stall where my weight did not MOVE all during that time. But I stuck with the program and it's started to drop again. If I'd have bailed out of the program then, I'd be 10 lbs heavier than I am now.... and probably more.

This way of eating will not fail you if you adhere to the principles and have patience. This can be a very rapid weight loss for some, but for most of us it's about 1/2-1 lb. a week AVERAGE. That is to say, many of us go 2-3 weeks with no weight loss and then suddenly drop 2-3 lbs in one day. That is quite common.

Hang in there and get real comfy with this new way of life and try real hard not to be discouraged..... celebrate every time you pass up a dinner roll or a bowl of ice cream and know that you're in this for the long haul and a FANTASTIC state of health for LIFE!! Those kinds of changes cannot be brought about in a month or two after a lifetime of nutritional abuse, right?

Be happy!! You're normal!! You're doing great!!!! :thup:

nana0523 Wed, Jul-17-02 17:45

TeriDoodle,

Thanks for the kick in the butt!! I needed that! I have cut out all caffeine! Tea, coffee and cokes (when I drink them) are all decaf! So can I count this liquid as part of the 64-80 ounces?

Thanks,
Kathy :spin:

TeriDoodle Wed, Jul-17-02 20:09

yep, you sure can! ;)

And I LOVE kickin' butt!! Call on me anytime! :D

nana0523 Wed, Jul-17-02 20:20

Thanks TeriDoodle,

Kathy

LCer in NW Mon, Aug-05-02 09:42

a good rule of thumb for water consumption (in ounces) is take your current weight in pounds and divide by 2. half of 160 is 80 ounces. I see this is the value suggested by Miss Teri. if your urine is clear, you have arrived, and even if slightly tinted you're fine. if deeply colored then add another cup a day for about a week, then cut it back. the body dumps more stuff at some times than others, and you'll notice if you're watching. I agree that all fluids can be counted. I even counted caffinated cokes, but only 8 oz. for a 12 oz. can to make up for its diuretic effect. Please note that phosphoric acid is also a diuretic, and is found not only in the leaded versions of sodas but diet caffeine free as well.

Libbyfcr Mon, Aug-05-02 15:10

TeriDoodle

I couldn't agree more with Teri and what she has told you.

My "Big Stall" lasted 8 weeks. My weight stayed within a three pound range for that whole time.

Good things come to those who wait. It certainly did for me.
Libby :wave: