Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keto QuickBread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=89356)

Christy P Thu, Feb-27-03 13:10

OH MY GAWD! Try Keto Bread???

Oh my Gawd!! It is the MOST disgusting thing that I've ever tasted!!! I tried the banana bread last night and it was like rubber, with no taste!! Oh man, this is scary!!

I'm messing around with stuff for AM, like muffins or whatnot... Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried Atkins Chocolate muffins but they were real dry and crumbly, not a lot of texture goin' on there... :mad:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Skamito Thu, Feb-27-03 13:16

Personally I like Atkins muffins, but there could be a difference of opinion. :) I haven't tried the chocolate, but the banana nut, blueberry, and lemon poppy are all pretty good to me. But now, I don't really recall real muffins.

Another good morning time idea might be yogurt or cottage cheese with a little Splenda or sugarfree jam. I've also been into making these really good little quiches that are quick and tasty in the morning.

Good luck... I haven't tried much LC bread yet. Don't think I'm missing out. :)

yvonne326 Thu, Feb-27-03 13:19

I personally dislike Keto bake mixes of any sorts and find Atkins' brand much more palatable.

lkonzelman Thu, Feb-27-03 13:19

I made a homemade LC zucchini muffin this week that is awesome and is just 2 carbs each.

Zucchini Nut Muffins

1 scant cup Atkins Bake Mix
1 scant cup finely ground pecans (but can use almonds to substitute)
1 scant cup granular sugar substitute
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Heat oven to 350º F. Grease muffin pans.

2. In a large bowl whisk together Bake Mix, ground almonds, sugar substitute, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a medium bowl, mix vegetable oil, eggs, zucchini, and vanilla extract.

3. Pour zucchini mixture into bake mix mixture. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pans. Makes 12 - Bake approx. 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool on wire rack before removing from the pans.

Yaseruzo~! Thu, Feb-27-03 13:27

Maybe you can dress that banana bread and make french toast or something. I know those things cost a lot, and I would hate for you to have to waste it!

Christy P Thu, Feb-27-03 14:00

Lisa, thank you for the recipe, sounds AWESOME!! I will try those!

And I'm telling you all, the "bread" tastes like a sponge, NO JOKE! :thdown: It's quite disgusting. LOL!!

I thought the Atkins ones were bad, until I tried this stuff! I will try the atkins stuff again and see what happens! Hee Hee!!

Just wanted to warn all of ya! :D

Tiggerdy Thu, Feb-27-03 14:12

Thanks for the warning!!

After being used to having a huge Starbuck's muffin almost every morning, it took me a while to adapt to the taste of the Atkins muffins. Now, like Skamito, I have forgotten what the :devil: Starbuck's muffins even tasted like. When I make the Atkins muffins, I freeze them to last longer as I don't want to waste too many of my daily carbs on them and then reheat them with a TON of butter on them. My DH thinks I'm nuts sometimes, but hey, it gets the daily fat percentage up and it is so YUMMY!! :yum:

Happy LCing!
Nikki :daizy:

Yaseruzo~! Thu, Feb-27-03 14:51

You just had to mention Starbucks! I used to love their cinnamon scones, OMG they were awesome but so full of sugar! If any of you come up with something that tastes like that, please let me know!

Tiggerdy Thu, Feb-27-03 15:40

So sorry Patty... ;)

I'd absolutely be in heaven if there was a recipe for the chocolate-filled croissants that I used to get from Starbuck's. Looking back at all the yuckies that I used to eat, it's no wonder I gained so much weight (well, that on top of undiagnosed diabetes)!! ugh!

Happy LCing!
Nikki :daizy:

pha1226 Thu, Feb-27-03 15:45

I tried everything to make the Atkins Bake Mix bread edible. :Puke: Just the smell of it baking was enough to gag me!

pha1226 Thu, Feb-27-03 15:46

Sorry!!!! I didn't know that little puke icon was actually going to puke like that!

manucpa Thu, Feb-27-03 18:28

I'll second those Zucchini Nut Muffins ( except I make it in a loaf). That recipe is really great , very moist. My DH loved it too.

theresa113 Thu, Feb-27-03 18:44

I bought the Atkins blueberry muffin mix a few months ago and liked it. Of course, I smothered them with butter! I may have to buy them again soon. I forgot all about them until I read this post.

chysmith Thu, Feb-27-03 19:05

Sourdough mix

We used the Atkin's sourdough bread mix when we made eggs benedict. Yum!! :yum:
Now we know we shouldn't have had it during induction. Waiting for when we can have it again!

-Cait

Teuthis Thu, Feb-27-03 20:20

Keto

I used keto crumbs for frying. I don't think I would want to eat anything else I've come across from any of those lo carb companies. It is just a cheap imitation of the real thing; and I fear it could cause me cravings by making me remember things I should no longer eat. I am content with the natural, fresh food I get to eat on Atkins. But you know, there should be a way to make something that tastes good, and doesn't contain all those artificial, processed ingredients. I'm going to start investigating and see what I can find.

Good Luck!