Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Diet Rite,splenda, carb count and you! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=122981)

GQed76 Tue, Jul-15-03 11:43

Diet Rite,splenda, carb count and you!

Catchy title, eh?

Ok so im drinking diet rite, and am loving it. Splenda is a great sweetner.

However do I need to count it as carb intake?
I remember in the atkins book, saying when you use one packet of sweetner, count that as 1 carb.

If THATS the case, how much is 1 can of Diet Rite?

asalvato Tue, Jul-15-03 11:55

No carbs in Diet Rite. It is made with liquid Splenda that uses water to dilute it's intense sweetness. The powdered Splenda, however, has carbs because of the ingredients used to dilute it; not the Splenda itself.

This is the reason so many folks would like to be able to buy liquid Splenda-no carbs at all.

KristyC Tue, Jul-15-03 12:22

Thanks, asalvato. I was wondering about that!

Tiggerdy Tue, Jul-15-03 13:05

Actually, the granular splenda has carbs because of the bulking agents added to it. From what I understand, this was done primarily so that people could use splenda as a sugar replacement equally (1 cup splenda = 1 cup sugar).

So, as mentioned before, Diet Rite or any beverage that contains liquid splenda is carb free unless otherwise noted (extra ingredients, etc.).

Happy LCing!
Nikki :daizy:

LCalamari Tue, Jul-15-03 13:08

I have not been able to locate any splenda here in Canada :( I haven't even attempted to locate the diet rite since I don't think we have it here in Canada. Any other canadians have any luck???

Tiggerdy Tue, Jul-15-03 13:11

I'm not Canadien, but here's my $.02. ;) I think you can go to Splenda's website to see what products contain it. Surely there has to be some products w/Splenda in it sold in Canada.

Happy hunting!
Nikki :daizy:

GQed76 Tue, Jul-15-03 13:12

Thanks for the answers=)

Froufie Tue, Jul-15-03 13:45

Canadian products

Calamari, and other canucks: You can have Diet Orange Crush and Diet Cream Soda which are both made w/Splenda and I think caffeine free. Diet Dr. Pepper is also made w/Splenda but harder to find (and I think it does have caffeine).

Not sure what grocery stores you visit...but probably Loeb or Loblaw's would have it?

I thought they were 1 carb per can as per the label...will have to check. I only have them occasionnally tho - when I need something sweet (I understand the cream soda and some heavy cream mixed together taste like an "ice cream float"). Have to get that water in first! :agree: :agree:

Not sure why you can't find actual "splenda"...I found the packets in a box next to other sugar subs in the grocery store....also if you have a Price Club/Costco nearby they sell the granular/pourable Splenda in a 3 box "pack".

Good luck with your search.

Froufie

Shellyf34 Tue, Jul-15-03 17:00

That's funny, before Splenda was sold in the states I had to order it FROM CANADA, so they must sell it somewhere! I believe we ordered it from some Canadian online drug store (pharmacy)...

Erick Tue, Jul-15-03 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQed76
Catchy title, eh?

Ok so im drinking diet rite, and am loving it. Splenda is a great sweetner.

However do I need to count it as carb intake?
I remember in the atkins book, saying when you use one packet of sweetner, count that as 1 carb.

If THATS the case, how much is 1 can of Diet Rite?

Speasking of Diet Rite - I just had a Diet Rite White Grape soda! It was great!!! I LOVE grape soda so this was a welcomed treat. :Party:

Demer Tue, Jul-15-03 18:44

I was a little surprised when I read that Diet Dr. Pepper was sweetened with splenda so I checked my DH's bottle (I drink Diet Coke). It lists the sweetening ingredient as aspertame. I think you may be mistaken unless they make Diet Dr. Pepper different ways. And if they do where can I get the splenda stuff? :p

Froufie Tue, Jul-15-03 19:56

I believe the Diet Dr. Pepper made in Canada is made with Splenda...honestly it is so hard to find that I have not been able to locate it so cannot check this out.

I do know that the Diet Orange Crush and Cream Soda are definitely made w/Splenda cuz I have some in my fridge :yay: :yay: . They are made by the same company that makes the Diet Dr. Pepper.

And you're right Shelley....Splenda was approved in Canada before it was in the US so should be available here!

Froufie

mle_ii Tue, Jul-15-03 21:50

Diet Dr Pepper

Oh man! Why did I have to hear that I can only get Diet Dr Pepper made with splenda up in Canada. Hopefully I can get it just over the border from Seattle. Wonder what the border patrol is going to say about my huge load of Diet Dr Pepper???? :)

*sigh*

pre3teach Tue, Jul-15-03 22:55

Our Walmart just started carrying Diet rite cola and white grape soda...and also kiwi watermelon in the liter! I loved the White Grape!!!They must be getting requests because it hasn't been there before!

How many of you find it stalls or slows your weight loss?

LCalamari Tue, Jul-15-03 23:14

Thanks for the info!!! I have been everywhere looking for the Splenda and haven't found it yet. I will try a few other drugstores and see if I have any luck. I will definitely be picking up some diet Orange crush and cream soda!!! YUMMY thanks for sharing that, I really appreciate it! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froufie
Calamari, and other canucks: You can have Diet Orange Crush and Diet Cream Soda which are both made w/Splenda and I think caffeine free. Diet Dr. Pepper is also made w/Splenda but harder to find (and I think it does have caffeine).

Not sure what grocery stores you visit...but probably Loeb or Loblaw's would have it?

Froufie