Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   TOM and Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186571)

3xmommy Mon, May-24-04 15:29

TOM and Atkins

I went back on induction 3 days ago..I know that the TOM is near..Do you ever experience bloating during that time..I know naturally woman do, but usually I fell thinner everyday and today I feel heavier..I didn't cheat so not sure whats going on..

Thanks Michelle

BlitzedAng Mon, May-24-04 15:37

I really don't know the answer to this but I do know that before this WOL I did not bloat this much. But then I didn't drink hardly any water, AND I was packing a beer gutt from hell that might have covered it up,lol.

Angel

abster Mon, May-24-04 15:42

My Experience

Hi Michelle,

Before LC-ing I rarely ever had any effects from TOM. Now (after 6 months of LC-ing) I find that I have a lot of water retention and some cramps and headaches every month. The weight gain is very temporary for me, all water weight.

Personally, I think that the increased symptoms are very much worth it. I kind of chalk it up to my body being much more responsive in general to all sorts of things than it used to be when I was a heavy carb-eater. I feel much more in touch with almost all aspects of my body now and even though that doesn't always feel great (when I'm a little dehydrated, etc.), I really feel it is better for me in the long run.

erinleigh Mon, May-24-04 15:55

I am extremly strict on induction when my TOM comes! I gain plenty of water weight that it grosses me out! But, it leaves at the end and I drop another few pounds with it!!! The Whoosh Fairy!!!

breezy41 Mon, May-24-04 16:45

I find that my water gain during TOM is wayyyyy up than before I low carbed it too. BUT I don't mind because I weighed in this morning (post tom) at 5 pounds less than a week ago without having changed anything in my diet!!! Wee hoo. Kinda feels like a woosh so I don't mind. In fact, if anything, it makes me watch my salt intake and up my water too. Being a little more vigilant during TOM always pays off the next week. I usually come out a little better at the end!!

Lipid Mon, May-24-04 19:55

I usually gained 3-5 pounds each month for TOM before Atkins.... last month I gained none and dropped 1 after TOM was over... this month I gained none for TOM and actually dropped a pound the morning it started (yesterday)...so now I am anxious to see what I will drop when its over.

nfb02001 Tue, May-25-04 09:51

I used to never have any of the typical TOM symptoms (bloating, cramps...), now I get all of it. It's sooo uncomfortable, but at least I know my body is working like most people's and that it all goes away as soon as my TOM goes away. I think it's perfectly normal to start experiencing these things when you're eating LC.

suzanneM Tue, May-25-04 10:29

Here, come sit by me and we'll be all bloat-y together this week. :D I do notice a bit of bloating but it's over quickly enough. What I also found was that things started a tad early and got rather heavy. Sorry, couldn't find any other euphemisms for that...

MaryToU Tue, May-25-04 10:33

I really hate that TOM :mad: , I keep telling him its over! I never want to see TOM again! But wouldn't you know it, TOM can't seem to take a hint. Maybe I can pay the whoosh fairy to bump TOM off? :rolleyes:

erinleigh Tue, May-25-04 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToU
I really hate that TOM :mad: , I keep telling him its over! I never want to see TOM again! But wouldn't you know it, TOM can't seem to take a hint. Maybe I can pay the whoosh fairy to bump TOM off? :rolleyes:

:lol: That funny! I like that!!!

ncskibabe Tue, May-25-04 11:25

I must be extremely lucky. Since 2-1-04 when I started, no cramps, NO breast tenderness, very light flow but thinner and just a little bloat. Seems like a good thing to me.

lakookoo Tue, May-25-04 13:57

I have heard it said that Atkins (or maybe low-carb in general) is a diet with a diuretic effect, so maybe the hormonal water retention associated with the menstrual period stands out more in contrast.

I've certainly noticed it more over the past few months -- my fingers sort of swell up, and the scale either stays the same or edges up a pound or two for a few days. I can hardly wait to see what my ankles do in the dog days of August :( BUT maybe it will be better than usual for 3 out of 4 weeks per month!