Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   atkins success story on 20/20 tonight (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130731)

saltnpeppa Fri, Aug-15-03 13:13

atkins success story on 20/20 tonight

ABC "20/20" Report
Event Type: Television
Date: Friday, August 15, 2003
Time: 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. EST
Featuring: Barbara Walters anchors

Description:
On Fri., Aug. 15, 2003, "20/20," ABC's national television news magazine program, will air a report on five co-workers who are on five different diets. One of the co-workers is using the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM and she speaks positively about her experience.

Bon Fri, Aug-15-03 13:19

Thanks so much for that info saltnpeppa... I always try to stay awake to watch it, but don't always succeed. Think I'll have some coffee this evening. :hyper:

What a shame that Dr. Atkins left us before he could see what a total turnaround of opinion and press this WOE is getting. Atkins for Life!

Rachelle Fri, Aug-15-03 13:22

the Press

Ya know, i think this is a reairing of the show... a co-worker of mine was telling me about watching this last week.. when i told her i am doing Atkin's as a way of life.
She was telling me how she always thought negative things about it.. but is actually seeing all the positive spins on it... and is having a change of mind

Congrat's to the press... they won me over... Next the world.. :yay:

fishburg Fri, Aug-15-03 14:56

I can not wait to see it!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

Atkins05 Fri, Aug-15-03 16:47

I'll be watching :-)

Merrymash Fri, Aug-15-03 20:33

I did NOT like that segment. The "expert" dude said that atkins allows way too much fat...

Oh, and the South Beach diet was on both dateline and 20/20 tonight - the latest craze....anyone here on it? The 1st phase sounds like atkins induciton exactly.....

mle_ii Sat, Aug-16-03 00:15

Wow, that was lame.

1) They need to do some more research before reporting.
2) They need a better expert, perhaps 1 that isn't trying to sell his book.
3) Too much fat on Atkins, come on! That's part of the diet, read Atkins dude!
4) They tried to make the South Beach Diet to be this great new diet, and yet from what they said it sounded like Atkins.

No wonder America is getting fatter they're getting garbage like this being reported as news.

My 20 carbs,
Mike

Bon Sat, Aug-16-03 05:20

I watched them both, too. What a disappointment... wasn't worth staying up a losing that extra hour of sleep. :yawn:

South Beach sounds exactly like modified Atkins. Sounds like plagerism, too... People just don't get it... still.

saltnpeppa Sat, Aug-16-03 06:29

yeah I was disappointed too. I copied and pasted the announcement from the atkins site. I bet they were pretty upset too. it's ok though, I'm telling friends all about this and am sure it will be 'validated' by the establishment in < 5 yrs.

Frederick Sat, Aug-16-03 10:27

yeah, that was real lame!

By the way, what is the difference between the South Beach diet and the Atkins one? Aside from the Clintons opting for the former.

cc48510 Sat, Aug-16-03 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
yeah, that was real lame!

By the way, what is the difference between the South Beach diet and the Atkins one? Aside from the Clintons opting for the former.

My understanding is that SBD is basically Atkins with a little less fat and restrictions on total calories. I may be wrong, though.

katrine77 Sun, Aug-17-03 07:37

Plagerism, I'll say!

I saw them too and boy what a disappointment. It is totally amazing to me that the SB guy can get away with taking ATkins diet, modifying it and making money with it! His first two weeks are exactly like induction....exactly! I'm with you, Bon about the plagerism. Geez, what next.
k