Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Waist Issues!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=93399)

Jacy Wed, Mar-19-03 12:41

Waist Issues!!!

Hello,
Can anyone tell me what exercises will shrink your waist? Mine seems to go straight down my body with very little curve to it... *sigh*
Even when I was thin I had a thick waist area.... I would love to start working on tryin to get some curve to my straight body... hehehe Thanks!! Jacy

tofi Wed, Mar-19-03 13:09

Hello Jacy. I have moved this post over to the General Exercise forum so the knowledgeable types will see it and be able to help you.

:wave:

Jacy Wed, Mar-19-03 13:10

Ok thanks so much... sorry Im still learning where to put my posts... :o Jacy

iBelieve Wed, Mar-19-03 16:01

Hi Jacy! I'm definitely no "expert", but here's an exercise I used to do for my waist, and it seemed to help tone and slim quite alot!

Stand with your feet planted at hip distance apart, knees slightly bent. Tuck your pelvis forward firmly to stabilize your lower back. Keep your arms close to your sides, with elbows bent up. Then begin twisting your upper body only from side to side, as far as you can (like you were turning to look behind you), back and forth, back and forth. But do it gently, so you don't wrench your back!

Hope this helps! :)

agonycat Wed, Mar-19-03 18:34

Killer Abs workout.

Try some of those.

cheater Sat, Mar-22-03 22:50

HOpe this helps

Hi Jacy,

I too have waist issues. Here is what I have done.

I bought a yoga ball for crunches (K-mart or Walmart for 10-20 bucks). Man, oh man, I feel these about twice as much as the real ones and have noticed inches coming off within the 1rst two weeks. (WOW!) Also, When I do floor crunches, I put my knees to one side and lie them on the floor. Then I keep my head straight with my knees to the side and do crunches this way. If you do this right you should feel it right where you love handles are.

One last thing, Stair-steppers and ski machines help with belly fat because they are a total body workout.

Good Luck! :daze: :wave:

Meg_S Sun, Apr-13-03 16:28

If your waist is naturally thicker, you can make it look smaller by building up around it, eg: wider shoulder and lats, more luscular legs and rounder (shaplier!) glutes will all make your waist seem smaller in conjunction with ab workouts.
Meg

DarkRose Mon, Apr-14-03 04:02

Unfortunately the only way to "spot reduce" is with liposuction. :eek: Fat tends to come off in layers, like removing layers of an onion. Some areas just have more deposits than others, but there's little you can do to affect fat in a specific area. Focus more on overall fitness and fat loss while mainting your lean body/muscle mass. You do have abs, we all do. :) They're just hidden right now. I also agree with what Meg said, focus on building up other muscles to make your waist look smaller. HTH! :)

IceChic Sun, Aug-17-03 17:06

Not losing around the waist

Almost all my weight loss so far has come off my hips and thighs. Not that this is BAD... but... now my waist looks really big! :nono:

Is excersise the way to go? or should I focus on losing more weight and hope it shows up soon?

Nan

Meg_S Mon, Aug-18-03 05:23

Exercise will make you look better no matter what, but the only way to even yourself out is to keep going with the fat loss...EVENTUALLY it will come off the waist. You will probably have to be at a lower bodyfat % that you were aiming/hoping for to have trim abs.

ATD Mon, Aug-18-03 09:05

THE PLANK!!!!

It's painful - but it's VERY effective- and it tones up the Transverse Abdominals too (core stability for your lower back).

You lie face down, and prop yourself up on your elbows - then you push your legs up so you are on your toes - it's kind of like a pressup position - but you are on your elbows not your hands. Keeping your back/bum/legs as level as possible you hold that position for 1/2 a minute to 1 minute. If you feel ANY pain in your lower back, lower your knees to teh round, but keep squeezing in at the stomach.

The plank will give you the leaner ab look, as well as evetually firm up the 6pack!!

"Enjoy" xxx

skibunnie Mon, Aug-18-03 12:38

Everyone here seems to be pretty educated. You cannot spot reduce on your body. Just increase the intensity of your cardio workout, what are you doing for cardio?