Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Harder now that I am older (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=203141)

weisser4 Wed, Aug-11-04 06:52

Harder now that I am older

Anyone else feel that the weight loss is harder since 40? :q:

Nancy LC Wed, Aug-11-04 08:57

Oh yes. :)

Kristine Wed, Aug-11-04 09:19

I'm 29 and it's harder!

orchidday Wed, Aug-11-04 09:46

I am 47 and it is definitely slower! I am always happy to see younger people getting the hang of it before they reach this phase of life. It is just harder!

Orchid

csj Wed, Aug-11-04 10:46

Ha! Everything is harder when you are older, except not giving a darn about what other people think!

CindyG Wed, Aug-11-04 12:54

Yes!

I turned 40 in May and my weightloss has slowed way down... So I'll blame it on turning 40 :lol: Could also be a 50 pound stall or that I'm at a weight I maintained for 6 years and have plateaud here! Another weird thing that coincided with my 40th bday was the development of poofy bags under my eyes. I want to know just how in the heck my body knew exactly when I was 40 to start acting up! Not fair!

windy Wed, Aug-11-04 13:20

Yes it seems that as we age it does get harder to loose weight. Just means we will appreciate it more when we get there.

Linda

cs_carver Wed, Aug-11-04 13:32

Kinda sorta

Harder because my body resists and won't put up with the crap I used to be able to get away with. I laugh at a 34-yo friend of mine who tells me it's all about eating less. "Just wait!" I snicker under my breath.

Easier because I'm more accepting, more educated, more independent, more attuned to what's me and what's societal messages and advertizing. Less inclined to give a hoot about what anybody else thinks.

adkpam Wed, Aug-11-04 14:22

Well, this recent bout with weight loss was the EASIEST I've ever had, even at (magnum) 44. But then again, I've never tried low carbing before. And I plan to maintain for life, so I hope this particular hurdle will not come up again!

That said, I'm sure I would be slimmer if I were 20 years younger...but would I sign up to be that young again? Nope. Not if it meant going back to my younger self in all other ways. I like being me now, better.

Trinsdad Wed, Aug-11-04 14:37

When you get older it seems everything is harder...cept where it most important.... :D

weisser4 Wed, Aug-11-04 14:47

Young again or 2nd childhood

Even my DH has been having aches and pains lately. He is Mr. forever young, lets go hiking, camping, skiing, yada, yada, yada, and now he comies in and complains about his body feeling sore and he can't figure out why. :) Actually, we were much more active before moving here because were used to certain areas - Acadia National Park, Sugarloaf, etc. We used to bike and hike much more often and did not feel so "old" and now we are feeling the pains. I think it is about activity for us, since we ain't 'xactly old yet. My daughter says I am the only grownup in the house. :D

MaryToU Wed, Aug-11-04 15:01

I have to say I started at 40, and this was the easiest and fastest I have ever lost! And so far, keeping it off for over 9 months has gone well. But I must confest, I have started going to a gym so I could not worry on muching more during the day.

patricia52 Wed, Aug-11-04 18:43

*voice of doom*
Wait till you're over 50!
It's definitely harder to lose weight (for me) now I'm over 50. However, added to my (advanced) age is the fact that I'm losing weight I've lost twice before.....so that might have something to do with it.

Deborah50 Wed, Aug-11-04 23:45

The Over and Over and Over- 40...50...(lbs...years)?

:agree: I'm with you, Patricia! NOTHING moves as fast as it used to - and that is the sad, sad truth! So we have to be kind to ourselves too - and have realistic goals. Jonny Bowden's latest book, LIVING THE LOW CARB LIFE, talks about that. Realistically, a 10% weight loss is considered to be a success - it makes a considerable difference to health and is achieveable. For us oldies, that perhaps puts our goals into a different frame.

Two years ago I lost 60 pounds on WW - took me to 200 pounds and I looked terrific - size 14 regular women's. But their chart said I should be 150 - even at 30 I struggled to achieve that - starvation, and then I was a size 9 at that weight and I am 5' 8" with a very large frame. I had my BFI done then, and it was 16%!!! So much for the scales and WW charts. But it is so easy to get sucked into the "stats". I gained the weight (60 lb) back after a serious car accident which compromised my mobility and depressed me = depressed eating too. Anyways - I guess what I'm saying is, we have to do what we can do - be kind to ourselves - stay true to what we really want - and accept what we can truly achieve. Life is not just about what we weigh....

Hellistile Thu, Aug-12-04 09:22

As you get older it's a double whammee as far as weight gain and loss goes. Easier to gain and harder to lose as you get older.