Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Pickles? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=121650)

lissame Wed, Jul-09-03 23:11

Pickles?

I am still on induction and don't wanna mess this up the tiniest bit. It's not on the food list from the DANDR, but cucumbers are.... can I eat 'em?

I can't find a thing on the Atkins sight about pickles. Please help!!

Missa Wed, Jul-09-03 23:32

yes, I was wondering the same thing. I have a jar of pickles in the fridge taunting me...

jeanyyy Thu, Jul-10-03 00:13

I believe you can eat them as long as there is no sugar. Mount Olive makes a Splenda-sweetened pickle, but I haven't found them yet. Also, watch the sodium - it can make you retain water. I'd say, pick a brand/type that is low carb without sugar and try..

FionaMcB Thu, Jul-10-03 00:35

I keep a gallon of Kosher Dills in the fridge. DH loves them, especially when I throw in a big handful of garlic (we've never had a problem doing this) and some hot pepper flakes. There is no sugar of any type listed in the ingredient list. 0 fat,0 cal., 0 carbs, 0 protein, 323 mg. of salt.

lissame Thu, Jul-10-03 13:46

I wonder - if I'm being very careful to measure all my veggies so that I make sure I get the 2 cups of salad vegetables and the 1 cup of higher carb veggies... where do you suppose the pickle would fall? Would I go ahead and consider it as cucumber??

doreen T Thu, Jul-10-03 16:55

My jar of Strub's Baby Dills has the following info:
  • serving size 28g (1 oz)

energy - 5 cal
    protein - 0.3g
    fat - 0g
    carbohydrate - 0.9g
    sodium - 290mg
    potassium - 34mg
The pickles are finger-sized ... so 3 of 'em made one ounce.

(in the US, manufacturers are allowed to label an item as zero calories if it's less than 5 per serving, including 4.99999g. Also if a food has less than 1g carb per serving, including 0.9999g, it may be labelled either zero or "<1g" )

hth,

Doreen

JOHNSON Thu, Jul-10-03 17:23

sour not dill

most sour pickles have no carbs whereas dill ones do.

ive been having a sour pickle at lunch everyday, and it isnt hurting me.

saltnpeppa Thu, Jul-10-03 20:03

I love those vlasic sweet and tangy pickles. can't have em. sure do miss em. i don't like the sour ones (go figure!!) :D

summer*rai Thu, Jul-10-03 21:05

recipe for sweet pickles quick ones

1 cup of splenda
1 cup of vinegar
little salt
peeled cucumbers, sliced
onions...just a little, sliced
jalepeno if desired...remove seeds and slice

heat the ingredients and pour over the veggies....Refrigerate..These are great...

You can add a few sliced cucumbers after consuming some of the first...etc, until the mixture weakens

spiderdust Thu, Jul-10-03 23:51

I'd count the pickle as cucumber, as long as there's no sugar in the pickle brine.

lissame Fri, Jul-11-03 10:51

Thank you!!