Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   bummed out (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134197)

tonyman Sun, Aug-31-03 12:59

bummed out

hello to all.Let me start by saying I love this forum and there seems to be lots of wonderfull supportive and caring people in this forum.I am 36 years old and as im sure you can tell by the name tonyman I am a male.So heres my story.I just finished my 3rd week on atkins.My induction period was a smashing success i lost 15 pounds but the 3rd week I have lost nothing.It has me very bummed out.I have only added some nuts since starting the 3rd week and have followed the book to the letter.I would love any advice similar stories or anything that may be of help.I also have been doing plenty of cardio and have NOT yet started lifting .thanks to all and I look forward to getting to know you!!!

IthinkIcan Sun, Aug-31-03 13:19

Hi Tony :wave:

First off, congrats on the great results from induction! I too have lost 15#'s and tomorrow is day 14. I done Atkins 3 yrs ago losing 80 #'s or so. I can remember that happening to me and it wasn't but another week before the pounds started whooshing off again.
First off, there are a few ways to look at it to keep your spirits high.
Most people on any other diet/plan, lose 15#'s in about 7 weeks. So in two weeks, its remarkable. So check that off on your list, "I must be on the right plan for me." Secondly, if you wasn't doing the Atkins plan right now, you'd have no success, right? You are on a road to progress, not perfection. Thirdly, take yourself a trip to the grocery store, pick up a ten pound sack of taters, and a 5# sack. Then have a reality check. That is what you've lost off your body in 2 weeks. Lastly, overall, how do you feel? Sleep better? More energy? Less cravings?
I think you are doing great and just need a little pick me up. So go pick up those taters and give yourself a pat on the back and know that soon you'll need a shopping cart to add up what you've lost in taters :lol:

Sinbad Sun, Aug-31-03 13:19

Hiya!

I had the same slowdown. It's perfectly normal and it can last a couple of weeks while your body adjusts to its new weight!
I just broke out of it a couple days ago - already 1.5kg lighter than I was during those two weeks :)

Stick with it, you'll see!!!
(also, measure! You're probably dropping inches like there's no tomorrow right now - I did!)

Cheers
Steven

Sooike Sun, Aug-31-03 13:19

Hi tonyman, just hang in there. You have already lost alot.(you probably see a big difference looking in the mirror) Just keep doing what you are doing now and I am sure the weight will come off again. Your body just needs some time to adjust to this WOE.
Good luck !

Skamito Sun, Aug-31-03 13:31

Very normal, not to mention healthy, for your body to take a little break from losing weight. Same thing happened to me, 8 pounds in the first two weeks, then nothing for a couple weeks. After that first break, I started losing about a pound a week. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep up the good work!

tonyman Sun, Aug-31-03 13:38

thx for the pep talk it really does help

saltnpeppa Sun, Aug-31-03 15:09

I think that almost everyone has a 3-4th slowdown. stay with it and it will pick up again. I'm almost 4 months into it and I NEVER lose every week, but it's more like every 10-12 days I get a little whoosh. You just have to stick it out and see what schedule your body likes.

verniebird Sun, Aug-31-03 15:45

Hi Tonyman

It is true that you may not notice a drop in weight for a bit but try taking your measurements. I have a ribbon that I cut to my waist size and I check that once per week to see the change in my waist. That way I am not obsessing with "numbers" like on a tape measure or a scale. Also you will notice that when you do lose, it will be a few lbs at a time....almost overnite. So hang in there....you are doing great!