Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Test of Time (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169127)

ih74farmer Wed, Feb-25-04 08:40

Test of Time

For some people out there, does it just take longer for some people to start losing? I've heard about everyone losing 7 lbs the first week, 3 the next and so on, but is there anyone out there can tell me if it took them a while to start losing??? I'm just a little discouraged and have been doing everything right. Please share. :cry:

FrecklFluf Wed, Feb-25-04 08:44

How long have you been doing it? It does take longer for some people for various reasons. You may be taking in more carbs than you think. You might not be eating enough. (That's my demon; I have to work at keeping my calorie count up.) Your body could just be replacing the fat with water and hanging on to the water for dear life. (I think drinking quite a bit of water daily will help that.)

Try posting a typical day's menu; we may be able to offer pointers. Also, don't just rely on the scale; take measurements. If your clothes are fitting more loosely, that's major progress. I recommend tracking your measurements at www.mybodycomp.com.

ih74farmer Wed, Feb-25-04 09:28

See my fitday
Typical day:
100 ounces of water
2 egg omlette w/ ham,cheese,brocolli
lunch: a broiled meat and .5 cup of turnip greens
about the same for dinner
I never go over 20 grams of carbs a day.
I have completed my 3rd week on Atkins.
I track my intake faithfully at fitday also. Please help somebody!

ih74farmer Wed, Feb-25-04 09:29

Oh psss. and I don't snack throughout the day either

FrecklFluf Wed, Feb-25-04 09:43

Oh, you're only on your third week? Yes, some people have to stick with it a while before their bodies "get it." (Look at some of the success stories on the Atkins website; some of them started dropping right away, and some had to wait several weeks.)

The only thing I can see from your Fitday is that you seem to have a pretty high protein intake ... or rather, a low-ish fat intake. I believe the ideal breakdown is 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. If you need to up the fat on a particular day, just slather some mayo on your meat, butter on your veggies, you get the idea.

ih74farmer Wed, Feb-25-04 09:51

Oh great that makes me happy to know that it has taken other people a while to get started to as that is my worry. I will look at the website. Anyone here that it took some time??

FrecklFluf Wed, Feb-25-04 10:07

Well, my husband tried it for a few weeks and nothing happened. However, as he got discouraged and quit, he is not a good example for you at this point. :D

maggieb Wed, Feb-25-04 10:08

Hi there,

I notice that your carbs are mostly coming from cheese and salty foods that all retain water.This could be a factor plus I don't see any salads or many veggies.
Try upping veggies lowering the cheese which can stall many people......
you also could just be in the infamous three week lull....you have done great!!! keep it up!! but get going with the fresh veggies :)

ih74farmer Wed, Feb-25-04 10:18

Thanks everyone. Great idea about the veggies Maggie!

AFwife Wed, Feb-25-04 10:40

Try using more Fat too for cooking your food. I drench my meats in oil. I use olive oil but as of yesterday have been using Virgen Coconut oil and this morning I was down 2 pounds. :yay:

I don't grill either I fry. I cook with butter too even my tomato's get fried in butter or coconut oil as well as my eggs and bacon. I love making my sunny side up in the fat bacon lets out when fried. YUMMY!

If your not a fish eater like me, take some Flaxseed oil capsules with had Omega Oils in it. Since I've started using this too I've lost weight and my hair is shiner and nails are stronger and longer and my complexion has improved.

See for yourself in the gallery I have pictures up.

Good luck,

Lily

ih74farmer Wed, Feb-25-04 10:56

Okay, I have looked at the fierst 10 pages of success stories and I DON'T see anywhere that anyone went 3 weeks w/ NO weight lost. Is there anyone here that it took a while to get started losing?

superfly_c Wed, Feb-25-04 14:14

hi, i think you are really not eating enough. you need your salad. you are eating much less than atkins says to eat on induction. please reread the rules of induction and the foods on the approved list. i haven't heard of anyone not losing in induction. i think that you are missing something. are you taking vitamins, exercise, and eating high in fat?

it sounds like you are being low fat. i really want this to work for you. don't be afraid of the fat, it really works! i know you will start losing. also, in the back of the book atkins has a chap. on what to do if you stop losing. that could be helpful to try after you revamp your induction. best of luck!!!

ih74farmer Wed, Feb-25-04 14:48

I thought I was eating fat, I even mix in bacon grease and lard in my veggies

Lindym Wed, Feb-25-04 16:38

Hi ih74farmer, I was also having problems losing :tears: . I had my cals too low, took them up to 1650 +/-, mostly by increasing the fat, and have been doing better :). You have to get the vegies in or you will pay for it with some bad times in the bathroom :nono:

superfly_c Thu, Feb-26-04 00:56

ok, you are right. i think you are eating the same thing as me. you have the food, the water, the fat. maybe you could try these things:

1. are you eating something you haven't before and you have an allergy/intolerance?
2. are you taking vitamins?
3. are you exercising?
4. you are on some med that is preventing your weight loss? common offenders are listed in atkins' book.

that's all i can think of! hopefully one of those strikes a chord and you can remedy that. you have to do all of it for it to work. i feel for you! :( you can also try the FAT FAST listed in atkins for people who can't lose. it is very similar to induction, but has better results.

best wishes!!!