Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Fitness Follies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=206422)

comfort Sun, Aug-29-04 01:28

Fitness Follies

Well I've just started up at the gym (again) and I'm going to try to make it work this time. Can't say I am super hopeful it will go any better than last time but I'm giving it another shot. Maybe a gym log will help me stay on task.

I'd love to be fit and trim (instead of doughy and jiggly) but I've just never liked exercising. I was one of those kids who hated gym class and my attitude about exercising and sports hasn't changed much over the years. To me it's all just a big chore. I did a twice a week women's running class last year while I was haphazardly going to the gym and felt the same way about it - just couldnt find the fun in it that others seem to enjoy. Same thing about the occasional walking I do.

Well, this all sounds rather gloomy and defeatist, which is not what I meant it to be, but I might as well be honest. For me, going to the gym is a necessary evil - though if I can't stick it out this time I think it will be the last go-round - no sense paying out good money if I won't go often enough for any improvements.

Before I was going to a different gym and they had given me a set program that I was supposed to do 3 times a week (lol sure). This time, in the hope that I will go more often if it's closer, I've signed up for three months at a gym in my neighbourhood. This time the young guy who showed me around gave two different routines which I can either do 2 days in a row then have a day off, or have a day off after each one. So far I've gone Thurs and Sat.

One more grumble before I list my exercises - both days they had unbelievably loud music playing ( and it's a very small gym) - to top it off, it was a heavy rock radio station I hate! That definitely wasn't going on the day I signed up or I never would have joined! But it definitely caters to a young male crowd - and as I'm a female on the down side of 40 - sigh - maybe I should get earplugs.

Blah - on with the exercises

Thur August 26th - Back, Abs, Chest, Biceps

Lat pull downs (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Seated rows (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Ball crunches 3 sets of 10
Chest press (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Peck deck (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Barbell curl 1 set of 10 ~ 25 - couldn't do second set at all
Preacher's curls (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 20
15 minutes mix walk/run on treadmill

------------------------------------------------------
Saturday August 28th - Legs, Calves, Shoulders, Triceps

Leg extensions (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Leg press (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 70
Hamstring curls (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 20
Standing calf raise (machine) 3 sets of 10 ~ 30
Machine shoulder press 2 sets of 10 ~ 30 - could only do 7/10 of set 2
Side laterals 2 sets of 10 ~ 5 (5 each hand done together)
Triceps kick back 2 sets of 10 ~ 5 (2 sets each arm )
20 minute mix walk/run on treadmill

At least I got through 2 workouts though I kept forgetting how I was supposed to be doing stuff and did get the machines I'd never used before slightly mixed up - they should have those things labeled.

I think I'll have to check online to see how I'm supposed to be doing some of this stuff. I wasn't happy how the young guy showed me how to do it. He just ran through the list, quickly demonstrating it on each machine, without even having me try it -and told me to start with whatever felt comfortable for weights. I went with 30 for most of the machines because iIused to use 30/40 pounds for most things last year in my brief excusion to the other gym. 30 seemed to be ok, and the couple that felt too hard I dropped down to 20. I'm not sure yet if I'll go tomorrow. I was sore the day after the first workout so might take tomorrow off if I feel the same way.

The best part of exercise is when it's over :)

galatia Sun, Aug-29-04 08:33

Hi...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

http://www.exrx.net/index.html

Here are a couple of pretty good sites that will show exercises being done. I hope you are able to find a time to go to your gym when the music isn't so loud and uncomfortable. I'm turning 49 in September and I understand how the music can be very annoying. I work out at home now, and it's nice having my music at just the right level playing while I'm working out. I hope you have a much better experience this time with weight training and grow to love it. Feel free to visit my gym log anytime. :) Good luck!

comfort Sun, Aug-29-04 16:20

Hi Galatia - thanks for stopping by and leaving the urls - they look like they have lots of helpful info. My shoulders are sore today (ouch getting dressed) and my calves hurt every time I move - so I'll going to stay in out of the rain and leave the gym till tomorrow, which will give me time to get more familiar with the exercises before I go back.

I'm going to be kind of limited in what times of day I can get to the gym, but hopefully you're right and the music might be a bit quieter at certain times. The owner is young, only 26, and all the guys I've seen working there look even younger, so I might just have to get used to it though.

Ok, off to take a more indepth look at those websites so I won't feel so lost next time I go. :)

comfort Mon, Aug-30-04 22:57

Well I made it through another gym visited undaunted. I almost talked myself out of it as I'd had a busy day and company coming after dinner, but made myself go for a quick visit while dinner was in the oven. I was keeping an eye on the clock and didn't have time for cardio, but I did a 7 minute run as a warmup and even had time to get through all the exercises. But I'll have to remember never to go at 5 again - way too busy!

Mon August 30th - Back, Abs, Chest, Biceps

7 minute warmup run on treadmill
Lat pull downs (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Seated rows (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30 - was hard today
Ball crunches 3 sets of 15 - up from sets of 10
Chest press (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Peck deck (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 30
Barbell curl 1 set of 10 ~ 25 - once again couldn't attempt a second set - lol could barely lift it back on the rack
Preacher's curls (machine) 2 sets of 10 ~ 20 - 2nd set tried ~30, did 7/10

Everything felt a bit harder today - maybe because I hadn't eaten in hours before I went?

Not too mention my poor calves are still aching from a couple of days ago :(

comfort Thu, Sep-02-04 02:03

Bad me -I've been lazy and haven't gone to the gym in two day.

That's it - I'm going tomorrow. No excuses! :nono: