Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is Pilates cardio, weight training or neither? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138213)

DeanaJane Fri, Sep-19-03 13:12

Is Pilates cardio, weight training or neither?

I've been hearing alot about pilates and was considering getting a tape. But I'm also wondering if I do that can I cut either cardio or weight lifting our of my schedule in place of pilates? Anyone have any ideas? I'm not looking to fit more into my schedule but less.

Thanks
Deana

saltnpeppa Fri, Sep-19-03 19:36

well, I'd say it's neither. with cardio, you want to elevate your heartrate for a certain amount of time, say 25-30 min. for weights, you want to provide a lot of resistance, so that the muscles break down and re-form. pilates is a whole different beast, and unlike anything else, really works the muscles of the torso, not the limbs. I do pilates once /week and cardio every day (M-F) and weights every M-F (upper one day, lower the next).
I know you don't want to add more in, but I'm beginning to think all 3 things are essential.

DivaDani Sat, Sep-20-03 09:04

Just another thought...

I started doing Pilates in January and have found that it really augments my cardio and weight lifting. I generally workout 6-7 days a week, doing Pilates 3 days, weights 2-3 days and cardio 2-3 days. (Sometimes I double up and do weights workout and my cardio.) So, I've actually replaced some of my weight/cardio days with Pilates and am having good results - inches are flying off my once bulging tummy. I've also found that having the increased core strength from Pilates enables me to lift a lot more in my upper body workouts because I'm more stable. Just my two cents...

Dani

Galadriell Sat, Sep-20-03 20:13

My vote: all of three:-)

I have similar experience as Dani's.
Pilates help to strengthen my core muscles - making easier the weight training, help to prevent injuries.
Similar way it helps me a lot in my running. When I started my running program, my lower back killed me. Introducing 3-5x Pilates a week solved this problem. Similar way the stretching that Pilates provides help to heal my legs, and to prevent injuries from long-distance running.
Do not give up any of them:-)

agonycat Sun, Sep-21-03 09:55

Pilates would fall into the functional training group. Functional training are exercises that are ment to enhance our daily movements and routines.

Pilates movements are very similar to Yoga which increase our stability, coordination and flexibility, which is why many people see an improvement in their workouts and daily routines. While it does strengthen our core muscle group, it is not considered weight lifting because you are not adding any additional resistance.

DeanaJane Sun, Sep-21-03 11:08

Thanks for all the replies.
I think with all the advice I've decided it's a good idea to get a tape and try it a couple of days a week. With all the exercising I'm doing my muscles are really sore. I do stretch but I always feel tight hours later, and especially in the mornings. I hope with Pilates that will help me feel more limber. Hey this whole way of life it all about trying new and improved things to feel better. Thanks again.

Deana