Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   what supplements is everyone taking? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=31179)

gwilson38 Tue, Jan-22-02 15:09

what supplements is everyone taking?

I thought this might be interesting to compare. Before I list all mine down I must say I am likely taking more than almost anyone... but I have fibromyalgia and my body was depleted of most nutrients. I will eventually cut down once I built myself up. ok so here goes... I take bee pollen energy 1st thing in the morning. [ bee pollen, gotu kola, royal jelly and ginseng] After breakfast I take a stress 75 tab [ all the B vits] potassium, biotin. mid morning I taking evening primose oil [essential fatty acids ] and lethicin. after lunch I take a mutivitamin, 1000 mgs of vit C, sometimes more potassium, and magnesium. Before supper I have chromium [increase that if I am craving or feel I have eaten too many carbs. ]At betime I take calcium-magnesium. Ok so there U have it. I would be intersted to find out what everyone else is taking.

tamarian Tue, Jan-22-02 16:13

Not many supplements, but maybe strong doses due to my size :)

A daily multi-vitamin (very strong) in the morning
600 mg potassium in the morning
600 mg calcium in the evening
300 mg magnesium in the evening
L-Glutamin 1000mg after weight-lifting

Wa'il

Chrissy Tue, Jan-22-02 16:57

Supplements

Here is my list of supplements that I take each day,

Natural Factors Multi Vitamin Plus All You Need Is One & Mineral (Citrate)

Natural Factors Calcium/Magnesium 250mg /manganese, potassium & zinc Plus D
X 2 a day (Citrate)

Natural Factors Vit C 1000mg Time Release

Jamieson Vit B 100 Complex Time Release

Jamieson Vit E 400IU

Exact Potassium Gluconate 92mg

Trophic Omega Essentials Oils 3-6-9 1200mg X 3 a day

Basic L-Glutamine powder (1-2 tabs only when I have sugar craving prior to meals) (never used them yet, have had no sugar cravings yet!!!) lol :roll:

Natural Factors Coenzyme Q10 60mg

West Pharm Chromium Picolinate 200mg

Natures Way Bee Pollen 675 mg (looking for the bulk stuff though)

Natural Factors Multi Acidophilus 4 billion active cells X 3 a day.
(Just started this one last week)

I also take flax meal every morning and Psyllium Husk powder in the evening......and if I am in a hurry in the morning, I will grab a Designer's Whey Protein shake in chocolate flavor of course. lol......oh yes, I love decaf green tea too

I really think essential fatty acids should be taken from everyone, that's why there called essential. It will keep your hair, skin and nails healthy. Its a good thing as Martha would say!

It's costly to buy these products every 90 days or so, but I don't buy junk food now, cigarettes or booze.... and I thinks its really worth it to be on some kind of supplement program when on Atkins or any LC plan. Of course I get lots of nutrients from natural healthy foods too.

Take care :wave:

Karen Tue, Jan-22-02 18:43

Vitamins C & B
Cal/Mag/K supplement
Multi Vitamin without iron
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Zinc

I also have a bottle of chromium and a bottle of L-Glutamine that I never take!

Karen

tamarian Tue, Jan-22-02 18:57

Oh, I forgot and Chrissy reminded me :)

- I Drink 4 tbsp Udo's/Essential Oil, or Flax Oil when I'm out of it.

Wa'il

doreen T Wed, Jan-23-02 07:47

I take quite a few .. and big doses too. But I don't intend to be taking most of these for more than a few months for specific health concerns, or at least much lower doses for maintenance.

Basics
- Super Once a Day multi-vitamin & mineral chelates (50mg each of the B's + lipo-tropics + enzymes)
- Vit E (mixed tocopherols) 800 IU once a day
- Cal-Mag (chelates) 333mg/167mg twice a day
- magnesium chelate 100mg, 3x daily, last dose at bedtime
- chromium 200 mcg twice a day
- Vit C crystals 500mg + potassium salt 325mg twice a day
- extra B's 50mg + co-factors with evening meal
- 1000mg salmon oil twice a day
- 1 Tbsp fresh flax oil, twice a day

Extras
- biotin 300mcg twice a day
- folic acid 1mg twice a day
- selenium 100mcg twice a day
- halibut liver oil for Vit A & D in winter (no sun) once a day
- lecithin granules, 1 Tbsp once a day
- Liv-tone (milk thistle, artichoke, turmeric) 2 caps twice a day
- 5000mg L-glutamine and 1000mg taurine twice a day, empty stomach

Doreen

rustpot Wed, Jan-23-02 08:39

one multivitamin

Wow... reading this thread I must ask whether you guys rattle?

Perhaps I should be taking more but I have this aversion to pills.

I have forced myself sometimes to take a composite tablet(x2) with Chromium,L-Camitine tatrate, B-6, and calcium. But I forget most days and you are meant to take at least four a day to achieve the effective amount.

The tablets are like house bricks and smell like seaweed and sometimes make me gag.
Soluble forms are no better as I cannot stand the taste.

The one thing I perhaps should be taking is a fibre pill. My brother is going in for colon surgery to remove a growth which may or may not be the big C. This has worried me as my diet is not that rich in fibre.

gwilson38 Wed, Jan-23-02 08:59

thanks!!

wow excellent responses! Now i have a couple questions. 1st I see tamarian and chrissy take l-glutamin one for weight lifting and the other for cravings? can U explain how it helps? Doreen U use liv-tone...what is that? and rustpot U definitely need fiber 2 that i can come up with is flaxmeal or psyllium.

Janice Wed, Jan-23-02 11:34

Pills? A mitt-full!!

Yes, I've always been a big vitamin popper!

Daily, I take:

in the AM:
1 heavy duty multi
1000 mg C
400 mg E
50 mg potassium
333 mg calcium/167 mg magnesium

I wash all this down with my "hippy shake" which consists of:
1 1/2 C water
1 scoop Soy protein powder
3 tsp Mega Greens
1 Tbsp. Udo's Choice Essential Oil Blend

With every meal I take another cal/mag (to 3 a day), and with my evening meal I have an "Udo Oil Shooter" (1 Tbsp. Udo Oil in 2 Tbsp. water, shot like tequila - doesn't taste the greatest). Before bed I take another 100 mg magnesium.

Janice

Chrissy Wed, Jan-23-02 23:30

Re: thanks!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gwilson38
I see tamarian and chrissy take l-glutamin one for weight lifting and the other for cravings? can U explain how it helps?

Reduces Cravings for Sugar and Alcohol & Energizes the Mind!

L-Glutamine is an amino acid (a protein building block) which is important along with glucose in supplying the brain with energy. It is also a brain neurotransmitter. L-glutamine has been used to help curb sugar and alcohol cravings, energize the mind, increase mental acuity, and to nutritionally support the nervous system in senility, depression, and fatigue.

Body-builders will use this too, to increase endurance and reduces fatigue.

Chrissy Wed, Jan-23-02 23:33

Re: Pills? A mitt-full!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Janice
"hippy shake"

Hi Janice, I can just see you doing the hippy, hippy, shake dance all day!

Can you add tequila to this mixture!!!! :daze:

Babs Thu, Jan-24-02 08:44

So... what I wonder is...

Why are we eliminating natural foods our body obviously needs otherwise we wouldn't be taking their equivalent in laboratory-created, artificial vitamin and minerals that come in either pills or tablets?

I take a multivitamin and that's all.

(Edited for spelling. I hate a msssspelt word.)

gwilson38 Thu, Jan-24-02 09:52

hi Babs

I have been waiting for someone to ask me that. Here is my opinion. Firstly in my case I am hypoglycemic and have fibromyalgia. My body was depleated of vitamins and nutrients because of these 2 medical conditions. Secondly and I believe this effects almost everyone....Our food is so over processed that we arent getting many nutrients from them. Also even if we take them in thru food, our bodys may have a hard time absorbing them. In PPLP there is a chapter called the "magnesium miracle" I persoanlly think it explains it well. Also makes sense from reading that, why we my be missing other vita-nutrients in our system. I do intend to cut back on all that I take BUT Im also going by how I feel. Never in my life have I felt so good....And of course I have done many many types of "diets" and this WOL is the only one that works for me.

razzle Thu, Jan-24-02 10:20

I think it's good to be skeptical of miracle claims for supplements, babs. As I increase my carbs, I plan on doing so in the form of dark-fleshed high-carb veggies--winter squash, yams, and beets and other likely high-nutrient foods...if I ever hit goal weight, I will cut back to a multi-vitamin per day. Our body doesn't "obviously need" grains or sugar, of course. They are, in fact, anti-nutrients, not nutrients.

However, something about my body got me/kept me fat--and it wasn't eating more than my thin counterparts or exercising less. So on the off-chance one of these claims about chromium pic or whatever is true, and one will give me some metabolic boost/cure to my condition of metabolic obesity, I take--

With the first meal at home:

multi-vit/mineral
chromium pic
calcium-magnesium
CoQ10

45 minutes Before weightlifting:

1 gram l-carnatine

If-I-remember-pills (hey, at least I'm honest!):

acidopholus 30 minutes after breakfasts I eat at home

in evening, evening primrose and extra elemental magnesium (i get PMS migraines and am always trying some darned thing or other to prevent them--these two supplements are my current experiment)

Lessara Thu, Jan-24-02 11:40

Bee Pollen?

What do you need bee pollen for? That has me curious.