Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chicken (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=60102)

Rene51 Sun, Sep-08-02 14:40

Chicken

I would like to know what you like to use to fry you chicken in? What do you use in place of flour? Do you have any favorite recipies for this? Thank you.

robinrpark Mon, Sep-09-02 13:41

Rene,

I haven't fried chicken yet but I have fried cube steaks and I used the Atkins bake mix I bought from the Atkins web site. It works very well and tastes good too. You can do lots of things with it but I haven't had time yet to experiment. I gave some to my husband who is not LC'ing and he couldn't tell the difference.

Look for it from another web site if you can or at your health food store becuase the shipping from Atkins web site is very expensive. My local health food store carries a lot of Atkins products.

Robin

ccmarketer Mon, Sep-09-02 14:05

Nut flours/meals

I've made chicken strips fried with pecan meal that I bought at the health food store. Everyone really loved it.

I've also got the KetoCrumbs which I used to make Chicken Milanese and it was also delish :thup: :thup: :thup:
too bad our first try of low carb pasta didn't match it.BLAH! :skull:

Next time we'll stick with matchstick zucchini.

cc

wangeci Mon, Sep-09-02 14:13

Crushed pork Rinds work good mixed with parmesan cheese, fried in olive oil,,,,but be prepared for a slightly icky smell in the kitchen but it tastes fabulous. Also, my favorite now is garlic/herb seasoning from Sam's club. It has no salt in it and it browns really nicely, I use a lot too and it is not overly strong in flavor but is very fulfilling.

Cindy

committed Mon, Sep-09-02 16:48

frying chicken

I read somewhere else on the lc forums about MCT oil and coconut oil. I don't know the science but mct oil and coconut oil are sorta newly discovered good oils for cooking. Ferrando, someone on the lc forum who sure sounds like he knows what he's talking abut, says coconut oil is the ideal to cook with. He is pretty opposed to cooking w/olive oil, with scientific reasoning. Something about good fats and bad fats.

I have never fried anything but, having a curious mind, I went out looking for coconut oil and mct oil. Coconut oil does not come in a liquid: it stays pretty solidified, looking like a jar of fat. That sure sounds like it would be good lard for frying and the coconut oil is good foryou. The MCT oil (the letters stand for something: look on the net, it is interesting) is liquid and more familiar to us and good for cooking.

Anyway. I've written a lot of mumbo jumbo. Try coconut oil for your chicken.

When I was a little girl, the first thing I learned how to cook all by myself was "oven fried chicken", kind of like a homemade shake and bake. I never acquired a taste for fried chicken. I don't think my mom ever cooked a meal fried in something so that's probably why I grew up never frying myself. I like the occasional piece of fried chicken but at home it has always been and is always going to be some kinda baked chicken.

Pork rinds work, I am sure the baking mix from atkins would work but I have discovered carb free hot sauce. Now I douse my chicken in hot sauce and bake. Gosh it is good.

If you've got a thing for fried chicken, you gotta find something that works. Try coconut oil. sorry for the ramblings.