Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What is filling and what isn't. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176352)

Nancy LC Thu, Apr-01-04 19:03

What is filling and what isn't.

Its odd how I can consume some things and feel full and not others. For instance, this morning I tried the mock danish again. 1 egg, 2 oz of cream cheese, splenda and lots of cinnamon. Wasn't full in the slightest. Could've gone for another one. Yet that's close to 300 calories.

Many mornings I have a low carb cereal with low carb milk. About 250 calories. It is more filling. Usually feel quite nice afterwards.

I've also made a pumpkin pie like thing from lots of eggs, pumpkin, cream cheese. About 175 calories per slice. I feel full after having 1.5-2 slices.

Maybe the issue is fiber, although I have eaten other things without fiber and felt quite full, like bacon and eggs.

This is quite the mystery!

LadyBelle Thu, Apr-01-04 19:16

For me it's a psycological thing I think. For me a mock danish or a small hamburger aren't filling, even though they are high in calories. A large salad or other veggies are more filling, probably because there is more there.

she_laughs Thu, Apr-01-04 19:20

If I take the time to fry up a pork chop for breakfast, I won't be hungry for many hours. I can easily last the allowed 6 hours before eating again. I always did love a good country breakfast (too bad I can't have the biscuits and gravy).

potatofree Thu, Apr-01-04 19:43

Odd thing, though. Tell me why I feel like I could eat two 3-egg mock danish (now that I found a way I like them) and still want more, where 3 eggs, scrambled with a bit of sausage in them makes me full. My suspicion is the sweet taste of the mock danish is a hunger driver for me.

Paris Thu, Apr-01-04 21:06

Sweetness can definitely trigger me to want more no matter the protein/fat/carb/fiber content.

I am also a volume eater, and I like many courses. I've begun eating each dish of my meal separately. It makes the meal last longer and I think I am eating more than I am.

Nancy LC Thu, Apr-01-04 21:41

One weekend morning i usually go have breakfast with my parents. I end up having 2 eggs, bacon, sausage and ham. It is quite a lot of food, about 475 calories worth.

However, I'll be stuffed full from that until well into the afternoon. Generally I have a light snack and skip lunch on my big breakfast days.

I suppose I could try to make the Mock Danish be spicy/savory and see if that changes anything. I could stick some parmesean cheese in it instead of sweetner. Maybe I'll give that a shot in the morning. See if it is the sweetener that is making me hungry.

I truly suspect its a volume thing. The mock danish doesn't have a lot of volume. I followed it down with some liquid to see if that would fill up the empty hole. Damn, it was sure yummy though.

Elsah Thu, Apr-01-04 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by she_laughs
(too bad I can't have the biscuits and gravy).

I think that is the only breakfast food that I really miss.....

Jenn

potatofree Thu, Apr-01-04 22:40

psst... Elsah and SheLaughs.... the "Low-Carb Comfort Food" cookbook has a pretty passable biscuit recipe. Sausage crumbled and fried, with a bit of cream might double for gravy if you season it a bit. Just a thought for pre-maintanance.

DianaO Fri, Apr-02-04 05:31

Its amazing how we have to learn fro mour bodies

she_laughs Fri, Apr-02-04 05:41

Potatofree

Thanks! That sounds like a great book. I'm getting close to pre-maintenance, so I'll check it out.

teresamay Fri, Apr-02-04 07:16

it's the splenda in my opinion - the sweetness is probably triggering hunger signals. I get that with anything that is even remotely sweet tasting.

Nancy LC Fri, Apr-02-04 11:55

Ok, this morning I tried a variation on the Mock Danish that was more satisfying. More calories too! This time I went with 2.5 ounces of cream cheese and 2 eggs and 1T of flax meal.

I still didn't have that "belly glow" feeling I get when I am perfectly satiated, but I wasn't looking around for the main course after I finished it either. Lets see... calorie wise it's

c. cheese 250
2 eggs 160
1T Flax 30
===========

A little high-ish for me for a breakfast.

Maybe I'll look at the lower fat cream cheeses and see if they might be significantly better calorie-wise and not be carby.

LadyBelle Fri, Apr-02-04 12:41

Neufchatel cheese is slightly lower in fat and not bad on carbs.

Nancy LC Fri, Apr-02-04 13:16

I bought some of that a couple weeks ago, but it was more than twice as expensive as the regular cream cheese, I decided I'd not buy it again.

Avlev Sat, Apr-03-04 04:06

For me it's the protein factor that fills me up - just fat (unfortunately) doesn't cut it. The most filling breakfast for me is two sausages and a T of mayo - the protein/fat combo is the only thing that keeps me full till lunch (and i have a BIG appetite!)