Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   New Years Eve Dinner!! UGH (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=77401)

Bamalady74 Tue, Dec-31-02 05:13

New Years Eve Dinner!! UGH

OK, my one concern tonight is that my husband and I have been invited to a friends house for New Years Eve. It will be us and a few other couples just chatting and playing games but above all "eating" the host most famous homeade chili!! I called to see if it was ok that I bring a veggie tray and of course that went over well. I had her go over the list of foods that would be served and of course it is "nothing" that is allowed on my plan. I am in day six of my induction phase. I am doing so well and really dont want to seem rude when I refuse to eat what is being served. I dont want to stick with the veggie tray. Does anyone think it would be rude if I brought a seperate plate of tuna salad or something to that effect?
I dont want to mess up on my losing streak.
Also, has anyone ever had trouble sleeping good while on Adkins? I have not got a decent night sleep since the first day. I want my Z's but my body wants to walk the floors.
Thanks for any input available.

Bamalady74 :spin:

CindySue48 Tue, Dec-31-02 10:13

I wouldn't worry about being rude, I'd bring something and just say that you're on a special diet with all kinds of restrictions. Make note of telling your host/hostess that you didnt' want to burden them....you knew if they were told about your restrictions they'd go out of their way to make sure you had something you could eat....but you figured it was easier on them if you just brought your own choices.

If you dont' want to mention LC or Atkins, and a lot of us dont' because of the "discussion" that might induce, don't. Just say it's a special restriction that you have to follow for X number of days and dont' want to have to start all over again. Use anything as an excuse.....I usually blame allergies or stomach trouble.

Before you go, make sure you eat, so you wont' be starving. Maybe pack a low-carb bar too.

Another thing you could do is bring a couple of LC appetizers....stuffed mushrooms, something like that. And just say they're new recepies you tried and wanted to share with everyone. If you can bring 2 or 3 items, that should do it!

Good luck!
Cindy

lperk002 Tue, Dec-31-02 11:38

Now that your etiquette question is answered...

here's my expereince with sleep... I had a rough time too for about the length of the strict induction period. Once the carbs were out of my system I found I slept very soundly and was very energized upon waking. Another added benefit - my teeth didn't feel like they had bundled up in sweaters overnight. I think within the next week, your sleeping patterns will return to normal (or be even better!)

HTH and Happy New Year

Lisa N Tue, Dec-31-02 14:46

I'd go with CindySue's suggestions; bring a couple of different types of low carb legal munchies like stuffed mushroom caps or ham spread with cream cheese and rolled around green onions or dill pickles. A tray of cubed cheese and salami is always a hit at parties (skip the crackers, of course) as are usually devilled eggs. You can always make an excuse to skip the chili such as tomatoes giving you awful acid reflux (they do this to many people) and eat before you go to keep you from being tempted by the other goodies there that you can't have. Have a happy and safe New Year's eve!