Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Crap! I'm BACK in the SEVERE OVERWEIGHT category & I didn't even gain! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=189854)

allibaba Mon, Jun-07-04 19:15

Crap! I'm BACK in the SEVERE OVERWEIGHT category & I didn't even gain!

I've always been 5'5'' tall, until tonight :mad: anyway. Dh and I just measured eachother and he went from 5'8'' to 5'7'' and I went from 5'5'' to 5'3.5''! I'm only 34 years old, what's up with that? So, now I'm back in the severe overweight category. I was briefly in the moderate category :(.
WWAAAAAAAAAA!
Alli

jun keater Mon, Jun-07-04 19:35

Measure in the morning - you are always taller first thing in the morning!!

Lindym Mon, Jun-07-04 21:11

Well. . . I'm 52 and 5' 7". I'm not going anywhere near a vertical tape measure (haven't checked my height in years). I just barely broke into the moderate catagory myself AND I AIN'T GOING BACK ;)

Marge Mon, Jun-07-04 21:20

ARe you getting enough calcium in your diet? I hear that is one possible problem as we aren't getting as much calcium as possible. when was the last time you measured yourself?

lizwhip Mon, Jun-07-04 21:43

Maybe you've lost a lot off of the bottoms of your feet?

Liz

mcsblues Mon, Jun-07-04 22:42

Sorry to tell you this, but everyone gets slightly shorter as they get older. As I recall it is related to the gaps between vertebrae narrowing over time.

But I wouldn't stress about what your BMI tells you as doesn't take into account your lean muscle to body fat ratio anyway. A famous example would be Michael Jordan who according to the BMI index would have been "obese" during his peak playing days.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Dodger Mon, Jun-07-04 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsblues
Sorry to tell you this, but everyone gets slightly shorter as they get older. As I recall it is related to the gaps between vertebrae narrowing over time.
Malcom,

I have gained 1 and 1/2 inches since I was 30. I was 5' 10" then, and at age 57 I am now 5' 11 and 1/2".

mcsblues Tue, Jun-08-04 00:05

All I can say Mike, is that you are a medical marvel! I have never heard of people growing after 30. I take it you haven't been tortured "on the rack" lately? :)

For the rest of us shrinking folk, this explains what I was saying earlier, and also raises the osteoporosis question which we all should be aware of;

http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthref...970BD389AF2.htm

Cheers,

Malcolm

MyJourney Tue, Jun-08-04 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

I have gained 1 and 1/2 inches since I was 30. I was 5' 10" then, and at age 57 I am now 5' 11 and 1/2".

Damn! What am I dong wrong? Got any tips? I would love to be 5'7

lynneuk Tue, Jun-08-04 05:34

My husband just had a physical and he was horrified to discover he is 5' 9". He was in the military for 20 years and was 5' 11" at every physical there. I measured him at home and sure enough he is 5' 9".
He is only 46. At this rate he'll be 4' 9" by the time he's 80!!

jun keater Tue, Jun-08-04 05:57

How height loss occurs

From day to day, no matter what your age, the disks that cushion and separate the vertebrae in your spine are being compressed during your waking hours. At night, while you lie down, the disks rehydrate and expand to their normal thickness. You may actually measure slightly taller in the morning.

Also... always go shoe shopping in the afternoon!

BlitzedAng Tue, Jun-08-04 06:19

My dear mother complains about shrinking in height every year due to her age and osteoperosis, not sure how to spell it..

Angel

SusanKH Tue, Jun-08-04 08:48

My sweet mother got shorter every year and her feet got longer. She said she was just slipping down into her feet.

allibaba Tue, Jun-08-04 11:33

UGH! My mom told me she used to be 5'1" and she's now 4'11'' at 62! I do take extra calcium and according to FitDay I am getting at least the RDA. I DID notice that a pair of shoes I couldn't wear for at least a year and a half now fit loosely, so I guess I did lose so feet fat :lol:.
Alli~HELP I'm shrinking

momof4boys Tue, Jun-08-04 11:51

Funny, I used to wear a size 7 1/2 shoe, now I'm wearing a 6 1/2. must have lost a whole size of feet fat. Love it!
Tammy