Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Sulfur-Rich Proteins? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136531)

Sunski Thu, Sep-11-03 11:06

Sulfur-Rich Proteins?

I can't find the thread now, but I recently read in this forum that flaxseed oil doesn't really count as fat because it is not burned as energy, since it is too precious (hopefully I paraphrased correctly here -- please forgive me if not). This was intriguing to me, so I started reading about flaxseed oil on the web. What amazing stuff! I am definitely going to add it into my diet.

But evidently it's most beneficial when consumed with a sulfur-rich protein. ALL of the sites say cottage cheese = sulfur-rich protein. I don't really care for cottage cheese. Anyone know of any others? Would eggs be? Tofu?

I'm sure someone here knows the answer -- you gals know all. Thanks for your help!

wcollier Thu, Sep-11-03 13:28

Hi Sunski:

Yes, that's correct. Oils are not a preferred source of fuel and will only be used as fuel if there is no better source (ie. starvation). The same goes for protein. Protein and oils are our "life battery", too valuable to the body to be wasted as fuel. In fact, Omega 3s increase your metabolic rate, aiding in weight loss, so says Udo Urasmus, the author of Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. He says it's most noticeable when 3 or more tablespoons of flax oil are consumed each day.

Sulfur-containing amino acids are all animal proteins including dairy, beef, chicken, fish, shellfish, eggs as well as soybeans (especially soft tofu). Udo Erasmus has a chapter on combining proteins with oils based on Dr. Budwig's research. He specifically mentions that sulfur-containing foods are not a problem for people b/c we eat plenty of protein, it's the lack of Omega 3s.

Dr. Budwig did much of her research around cancer patients so she used quark (cottage cheese, skim milk and yogurt are also comparable in sulfur-containing amino acids). So unless you have cancer or a serious illness, it's probably not essential. That's just my opinion.

HTH,
Wanda

Sunski Thu, Sep-11-03 20:45

Thanks, Wanda. See? I knew someone would know!

My breakfast lately has been a small fruit smoothy with flaxseed oil, a couple of hardboiled eggs, and fresh veggies. I'd been thinking about dropping the oil -- you know how that anti-fat thing can slip back in . . . . I'm definitely keeping it now. And I think I'll start making my salad dressings with the flaxseed oil, too. It's expensive, but my health is worth it.

I'm particularly glad to hear that whatever protein I'm eating will be fine. I don't have cancer, but it runs in my family. An ounce of prevention . . . .

wcollier Sat, Sep-13-03 11:35

Hi Sunski:

Quote:
you know how that anti-fat thing can slip back in

LOL, yes I do. After doing FF for about 5 years due to IBS, I had a hard time trying to add fat into my diet. So I bought that book Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. It really helped get me over the hurdle. I keep saturated fats to a minimum (after realizing I have this saturated fat/carb addiction :rolleyes: ), but I keep up my healthy oils at every meal.

Bottoms up! ;)

Wanda