Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   New "reduced carb" pepsi and coke (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182836)

JeannieM Thu, May-06-04 10:58

New "reduced carb" pepsi and coke

Now pepsi and coke are trying to jump on the low carb bandwagon by introducing new drinks with half the sugar and calories of "regular" pepsi and coke. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For a link: http://www.comcast.net/News/HEALTHW...70a04e786d.html

Do you guys think that these products will be a success? I mean, the new drinks will STILL have 20 g of carbs per serving :exclm: -- that's a LOT. I really don't think that people who drink regular coke and pepsi are that worried about carbs.

This will be a big failure, IMO.

Jeannie

niudog Thu, May-06-04 10:59

I gotta agree with you. Remember the classic coke / new coke disaster?

Hilary M Thu, May-06-04 11:04

niudog, that's exactly what this reminds me of. I just don't understand who they think this will appeal to. Surely Coke is not stupid enough to miss the fact that Diet Coke ALREADY HAS zero carbs.

4beans4me Thu, May-06-04 11:07

This just kills me, surely it will flop. :thdown:

MilanoSI Thu, May-06-04 11:08

IMO, just another company wanting to jump on the LC bandwagon. :o

w0rd Thu, May-06-04 11:25

why are they trying to do that? don't we drink diet already [which has 0 carbs] maybe the reg. coke fanatics will think they are doing something better for themselves?

scorpio381 Thu, May-06-04 11:53

I think it's geared more toward people who just want to "lower their carb intake", but I agree....it's nuts. People who are SERIOUS about lowering their carb intake will drink the Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi. OTOH, it might be a good thing for people who are trying to reduce their carb intake from 400 gms per day to 200 gms.

Cornick Thu, May-06-04 11:53

My DH told me about this the other day. I said "They already have no-carb drinks, they're called Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi!" I just don't get it either!

LucyLucy Thu, May-06-04 12:17

I believe people will gobble them up, just like they did regular diabetes-causing coke/pepsi, just like chips, cookies, cakes, breads, rice & all the other junk food we shouldn't be eating. Just another company jumping on the low-carb bandwagon to make a buck without any consideration for the health & welfare of people & kids.

LL :)

hornbrau Thu, May-06-04 12:42

Haven't tried one of these yet but my guess is they taste way better than diet soda. As a parent concerned with the health of his children, I for one would buy these products instead of reg coke or pepsi for the kids to drink. Cutting half the sugar they get is better than cutting none at all, and they hate the taste of the diet stuff.

Cicero Thu, May-06-04 13:00

Why not just make it with sucralose? The carbs would be drastically reduced. (especially if they used it in liquid form) If they made it with sucralose I would buy it.

Paris Thu, May-06-04 13:06

They need to reformulate the diet version and make it with Splenda IMO. I cannot use aspartame but miss my Pepsi.

mrschmelz Thu, May-06-04 13:10

While I won't consume this on a regular basis, I will probably drink them occasionally instead of a regular coke. I hate DIet coke but used to love my regular coke(though now its way too sweet for me to drink very much).

BlitzedAng Thu, May-06-04 13:37

Why bother.

SarahBinLA Thu, May-06-04 13:44

I think it may appeal to those that want to lower their sugar/carb intake, but are not trying to lose weright or anything.

I have an uncle that has always made his own 80/20 soda, as he calls it. 80% diet Coke, and then 20% regular, just to kill the diet taste. He isn't trying to lose weight, but he is trying to cut out a little sugar (he's a soda junkie) but still keep some of the taste.