Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Constipation (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172073)

ConfusedX9 Thu, Mar-11-04 04:35

Constipation

Sorry I know this is a common question. I read the sticky links and they weren't any help to me because 1. Every psyllum husk product I can find has aspartime in it, which throws me out of ketosis. Metamucil, generic brands.. I just went to cvs.com and searched and checked all the ingredients. I can't take the pills either because I do have trouble swallowing and the warning scared me.
2. I don't want to take any laxtives and become dependant on them.
3. I don't want to eat a lowcarb candy bar everyday either because that will also throw me out of ketosis.
My problem is that whenever I find something NEW that works, it STOPS working! Broccoli and butter used to work. Black Coffee used to work. Peanut Butter used to work.. My body gets used to everything and always becomes immune to it.

idontno Thu, Mar-11-04 05:16

drink tons of water. i eat spinich raw in my salads daily
on induction, cut out the cheese and use the fish oil, flax and borage oil softgels, at walmarts 100 for about 7 bucks. one or two a day great stuff i used to buy the atkins type. drink about twiced as mush water as you think you need. hey hang in there it ll work.

your not eating peanut butter on induction are ya....not even lc . you could add an once of walnuts every other day for fiber. but water is your best freind.

Aysiama Thu, Mar-11-04 07:35

spinach, ground flax seed(my fave), add a little more high fiber veggies if you have to.

bcbeauty Thu, Mar-11-04 09:01

Hmm I am in BC Canada, but I get Metamucil which is Sugar Free . Its unflavored. It tastes ike crap but does the job. No added sweeteners.

blueflyer Thu, Mar-11-04 09:27

In addition to upping your water intake, walking is one of the best excersizes that works the gut.

blueflyer Thu, Mar-11-04 09:32

Vit C taken in very large doses with lots of water can help this problem also.

lilli Thu, Mar-11-04 12:37

drinking a very large amount of water in a short time period helps me. If i'm having a problem, i drink at least 4 (and as many more as i can stomache) 12 oz. glassas of water, as soon as i get up in the morning, on an empty stomache. It's tough, but it works. Spinache is also the best relieving fibrous veggie i have tried.

ConfusedX9 Thu, Mar-11-04 14:27

Thanks.
Not really any help though. I drink a ton of water daily, exercise daily and eat 20-30 carbs a day, most from vegetables. Spinach and broccoli did used to work, just not anymore. I get all my vitamins. I've seen the sugar free metamucil, but it has aspartmine in it and so do the generic brands. Guess I'm stuck. I've never really been 'normal' anyways. Before I used to go every other day but I wasn't eating much vegetables back then.

Only thing I haven't tried is the flax, so guess I'll try that. I do use a lot of olive oil though guess that isn't the same.

hislady Thu, Mar-11-04 14:31

I don't know if this will help but I take sugar free fiber choice. Go to www.fiberchoice.com.

blueflyer Fri, Mar-12-04 09:14

I'm just curious, have you had your thyroid functions checked lately? And have you checked to see if you possibly have an overgrowth of candida?

Next are you taking any beneficial bacteria, flaxseed oil, psyllium husks, vit c? If so, how much?

My gut feelings is that you have an overgrowth of candida. JMO.

catsrus Mon, Mar-15-04 12:24

What's an "overgrowth of candida"? I have the same problem as confused, except I have always taken flax seed oil to help, and since Atkins diets have been drinking my Metimucil, take a laxative at night and drink lemon juice in hot water in the morning. I don't feel constipated, but I hardly ever go & then it's rocks.

teresamay Tue, Mar-16-04 13:46

I am in the same boat with ya! I have trouble with constipation and so far what works for me is oil of oregeno...

blueflyer Tue, Mar-16-04 23:15

Do you have the book by Dr. Atkins, "New Diet Revolution?' If yes, go to Chapter 25 pg 288 - pg 294. This will explain Candida Albicans.
Also, go to ATKINS.COM and in the search type in:
Candida Albicans.
After reading this, if you still have questions, I'll be more than happy to talk further about it.