Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Ketosis Sticks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=179658)

krantzfami Tue, Apr-20-04 14:04

Ketosis Sticks

Hi all

I have yet another question for you, hopefully you can help.

I finally got the Keto-sticks in the mail and tried it. According to it I am in moderate Ketosis -if I am saying that right-

My questions are:

1 - I am very surprised I wasn't knocked out of ketosis because last night I had to make a bad decision: To eat Mac N Cheese. We're really low on groceries and until this afternoon I can't buy anything and that was the only thing I had left (work hours cut, no money, huge bills, you all know the situation). I didn't eat much because honestly it tasted awful to me. My husband and daughter said it was "yummy" but to me it takes like cheesy soft cardboard- maybe because of ketosis?? I dont know.
Anyone know why I didn't get knocked out of Ketosis?

2- Now that I jumped off the wagon once, I am going to have to start over w/ induction right?

Hopefully this won't happen again. I feel kind of awful about having to start over but I guess I have to. My husbands check is going to be a little better now so I can buy more groceries to keep a similar menu of what I posted in "8days on Atkins, didn't loose an ounce".

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

>Annett

MaryToU Tue, Apr-20-04 16:06

If you didn't eat to much of the mac and cheese, it is possible that you could be still in the state of ketosis.

When I slip for plan, if it was not and all out "blow out" lasting several days, I just pick back up where I left off. Unless you are craving carbs again, like days of old. If so you are best redoing induction.

krantzfami Tue, Apr-20-04 16:15

Hi there

I don't have any cravings at all. If anything, I would rather never eat pasta again....it tasted that bad to me. In a way that is good because I used to be pasta-crazy.

Have a great day :)

>Annett

Bubba Wed, Apr-21-04 22:45

starch versus sugar

sometimes i find that if i am in ketosis, i can "cheat" on starch food (i haven't tried pasta, but i have tried popcorn and potatoes) and i find that i will still be in ketosis if i am: 1. eating those foods with fat, and 2. eating protien and fat at next meal....now if i cheat with sugar, i am out of ketosis within hours.
probably different for different people. i have read a few studies that say sugar acts different then starch in the body, and i guess it would depend on the person....
consider me lucky, i can even "cheat" with beer (but i have to make sure i have plenty of protien food around for the next day!) :D
p.s. i am wondering why you get your ketostick in the mail?

krantzfami Thu, Apr-22-04 00:46

Hi Bubba

I bought the Ketosticks in the mail because they were cheaper even w/ shipping.
At my local store they are $9.99 for 25 sticks. I was able to get 100 sticks for $6.99 ($3.49 for sticks + $3.50 shipping/handling). I felt kinda silly to pay more for shipping than the sticks themselves but I still saved $$$.

I am glad to see there is another person out there who can "cheat" and stay in ketosis....at least I know its not just in my head....for a while I thought I must be wrong but the sticks don't lie and now that I read your note I know I lucked out.

My plan is still to of course stick to Atkins but at least I know if I accidentally miscount & go over the carbs I am allowed, that I will still stay in Ketosis, so I don't have to worry too much.

Anyway, I have to run. thanks for the note. have a great evening.

>Annett

missy7938 Thu, Apr-22-04 11:44

Where did you get your sticks?? Missy

Bubba Thu, Apr-22-04 23:43

wow...that does sound expensive...i get mine at the drugstore for $6.50 for 50....and i live in a small town...

the only other thing to consider if your sticks are dark and you have cheated is if you are dehydrated, but then you would notice a lighter color later in the day after you have your water...

catch ya later :)