Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105552)

TexLady Thu, May-15-03 10:28

Supplements

Who is taking supplements? What do you take?

Are Atkins supplements better than others?

YankeeInTX Thu, May-15-03 11:07

Atkins suppliments

I just started taking the Basic 3 and Anti Oxident suppliments along with Metamucil. I also got the Dieters Advantage but won't start that until next week. I know that the Atkins suppliments are specially formulated for people on LC diets. I like them because it's all in one supliment. Instead of buying a bunch of stuff and taking numerous pills. I have not found another all-in-one suppliment other then Atkins yet. They are kind of pricey, but then I am used to buying an $8 multivitamin. :daze:

Good quetions though. I would like to know if there is something other then Atkins that is sufficent for LC diets. I will check back to this post to see what answers you get!
:wave:

Rosebud Thu, May-15-03 19:00

Hi TexLady,

I don't take Atkins supps - they're not available here. ;)

The consensus here seems to be that any multivite will be helpful. Just make sure it has no sugar.

I also believe it's vital to take calcium, magnesium and potassium. Low carbing causes extra fluid losses, and electrolytes and minerals can be lost in the urine.

Calcium and magnesium are best taken together, in a 2cal:1mag form. You'll need 1000:500mg, unless you are post menopausal, in which case you'll need 1500mg calcium. Take them in divided doses during the day.

Potassium can be taken as a tablet, or you can use a potassium salt such as No Salt and sprinkle it on your food. You'll need 400mg daily and again take it in divided doses. Do take potassium tablets with food to prevent stomach irritation. Also, anyone taking fluid or blood pressure meds should check with their pharmacist before taking potassium supps.

HTH!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

SDgrandma Thu, May-15-03 20:18

Good question! I've been researding this myself.

A successful Atkins low-carber who has been on maintenance several years told me that Vitamin C is essential also. She is an RN and said that the induction foods do not contain enough Vitamin C and our bodies do not store it.

Read Dr. Atkins Vita-nutrient book. It has tons of information.

Hope this helps.

Flutterby Thu, May-15-03 21:32

Hi Health Dieter's Multi Vitamin

I take a Dieter's Multivitamin from Hi-health stores. They have it displayed with the Atkins products. It is perfect for Low carbers because it contains no iron (which Atkins says not to take.....getting enough!). I take 3 a day. It contains tons of stuff including Chromium, Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium. Might want to check it out!! :wave:

TexLady Fri, May-16-03 16:58

Good suggestions

Good suggestions, all! Thanks. You are all so well-informed