Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Have You Read DANDR? How Often? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138314)

Archie Fri, Sep-19-03 21:21

Have You Read DANDR? How Often?

Sometimes it seems that people posting haven't actually read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Others seem to have read it mutiple times....I'm part way through the second reading and finding stuff I didn't absorb first read. Have you read it or do you wing it based on information posted in the forums or otherwise?
1. I figure I can find the info I need from other sources.
2. I've read DANDR once and learned all I need to know.
3. I've read DANDR more than once.
4. I can recite large portions of DANDR for memory!

potatofree Fri, Sep-19-03 21:39

I figure I've read it cover-to-cover twice, and keep going back to re-read parts so many times the pages are on fire.... I have adult-onset cranial rectal inversion, so things just don't STAY in my mind long enough...<sigh>

retrochiq Sat, Sep-20-03 03:33

I leave mine all over the house as I am ALWAYS reading it over and over, but I know it very well also. :)

Bon Sat, Sep-20-03 04:14

I've read it cover to cover once, but refer to parts of it often. It's right in my kitchen on top of my low carb cookbooks. :p

Plagiomom Sat, Sep-20-03 04:45

I have read the entire book and refer back to it frequently. I have a copy at home and I actually carry a copy of DANDR in my purse. I shoved it in my purse one day so I could read it while I waited for my daughter when she was at Sylvan Learning Center......I forgot to take it out and found it was a great reminder when I'm out that I am on this WOE and not to stray. So I ended up picking up another copy to keep at home and that DANDR travels with me everywhere. :lol:

manucpa Sat, Sep-20-03 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrochiq
I leave mine all over the house as I am ALWAYS reading it over and over, but I know it very well also. :)

Same here !

hramsey76 Sat, Sep-20-03 08:43

I've read it twice, and now I pick it up every once in awhile to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong or to check out the recipies in the back. That and reading it boosts my motivation all over again!

Mossling Sat, Sep-20-03 13:18

Potatofree:

"Adult onset cranial rectal inversion"? :lol: I love it!

Jude

Nille Sat, Sep-20-03 13:47

I've read it several times, and EVERY TIME I find something new !
I read a lot of books, but DANDR is always on the table, never put on a shelf. If someone moves it....:bash:

kay3osu Sun, Sep-21-03 12:32

potatofree- at first i felt bad for you...then i went back and thought "oh this is obviously a joke". haha. ok mossling, i am a little slower than you :)

in keeping with the thread, i have read it once but my sister calls me so many times asking me questions that i constantly have to go back and reread. i also like the other books like life without bread and protein power and schwarzbein's

Archie Tue, Sep-23-03 08:30

It would be interesting if we could correlate these results with each individuals results but I would be willing to bet the percentages match the success rates. What do you think?

poetree Tue, Sep-23-03 10:04

What I don't understand is those that HAVE read the book and decide to manipulate the WOE...then complain when it doesn't work!

Also, there are so many posts on cheating and rating frankenfoods, it's as if the WOE is secondary to instant gratification and "sweets." I thought the idea was to change one's WOE for the better, not replace bad habits with new ones.

I'm in this for the long haul and I know that even though I'm losing very s-l-o-w-l-y, it's how I feel that matters most. And I feel best if I don't cheat or eat frankenfoods.

I can sympathize with how hard it is to break bad habits, but losing weight/inches and feeling better are such great motivators!

TerryLynne Tue, Sep-23-03 10:18

I'm new to this forum, what is "WOE"
Regarding DANDR I've read it cover to cover once, highlighting it. I think I refer to portions of it almost every day. I've also read his original version and found it very interesting too. (from 197?)

Archie Tue, Sep-23-03 10:28

Yes Poetree, I can relate. I'm sometimes surprised at the response to thread that in someway advocate "shortcutting".Oh well, like you I'm losing slowly and happily!

RE: WOE = Way of Eating. You can click on the link about "Low Carb Tips" for a list of Acronyms. Welcome! :wave:

TerryLynne Tue, Sep-23-03 10:54

Thanks