Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Roasted Peanuts (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=319151)

JudyChat Mon, Jan-01-07 12:56

Roasted Peanuts

Sometimes, when I am fixing dinner I get SO hungry I think I am going to DIE if I don't eat something! And it is so easy to grab something I shouldn't have. Lately I have dealt with this by opening a jar of roasted peanuts and setting them on the counter and picking one out and eating it every few minutes. Soon, I feel satisfied enough to wait for the food to be cooked, but I have not ruined my appetite.

Just thought I would throw that out there. I think we are actually not "supposed" to eat peanuts on Atkins, and certainly not on the induction phase, but I find that eating a few of those peanuts keeps me from completely losing control at those critical moments.

I love nuts of all kinds, and once you reach the phase where you can have some of them, I highly recommend experimenting with different kinds. My faves are macadamias, but they are so pricey. However, I was surprised to find out how much I love plain almonds, and walnuts also.

There are some really good recipes out there for sugar-free glazing nuts, and also spicing them up, too.

Another little side benefit of the nuts is the fiber. Having a few nuts a day helps keep me moving, if you know what I mean! ;)

winterlily Mon, Jan-01-07 13:07

I always keep roasted macadamias on hand for emergency. nuts are perfectly fine in moderation after the first couple weeks. They have saved me a few times - plus, it helps keep my fat intake up :)

3shewolf8 Mon, Jan-01-07 13:17

I stay with plain, unsalted almonds most of the time. Macadamia nuts are soooo good. I only use them as a treat, like when my family goes to the movies, they all eat extra buttered popcorn (a serious downfall for me), so if I get a special treat, I feel better.

Earthquake Mon, Jan-01-07 14:27

i USE CHEESE for the same purpose...i try to eat way before I get to that "so hungry" point, every 2-3 hours is good for me...and if a craving occurs, its one of those cracker barrel cheese bars. pure cheese, one oz exactly.

black57 Mon, Jan-01-07 14:39

Nuts are always on hand at my house. I prefer raw almonds but we have peanuts, macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, pecans etc. I often use chopped pecans, strawberries and half and half as my breakfast cereal. Shoot, this breakfast stays with me until lunch at noon.

amm0925 Mon, Jan-01-07 15:02

Nuts are a good snack, most certainly better then reaching for something chock full of junk! I try really hard to eat every couple hours, even if I am not hungry, atleast a little something. When I get to the "starving" point, I am way more tempted to cheat. I have been keeping a tray of deviled eggs on hand, I'll grab one or two of them when I am feeling a little snacky.

mike_d Mon, Jan-01-07 19:58

I like the raw peanuts you have to shell out, raw foods are often less fattening. I saw on TV a "diet tip" to eat a few nuts before a meal and you will consume less calories.

TarHeel Mon, Jan-01-07 20:01

Frozen walnuts, straight from the freezer, are very satisfying and not as tempting for me to binge on as roasted nuts.

Kay