Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Favorite low carb recipe book? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=160426)

Squid Sun, Jan-18-04 11:01

Favorite low carb recipe book?

I want to buy a low carb recipe book but there's a lot out there. I want a book because I hate getting online to look up a recipe.

What is your favorite low carb recipe book?

Thumbelina Sun, Jan-18-04 12:17

I have a few that I've been very pleased with. Two are by Belinda Schweinhart, called "Low Carb Recipes" and "More! Low Carb Recipes". What I like about these recipes is that they are home-style, comfort type foods without tons of ingredients. On the other hand, I also like Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb Recipes, as well as her new book, "15 Minute Low Carb Meals". Her approach is different -- a little more gourmet in style, and some ingredients are not easy to find. But the recipes that I've made from the books have been awesome.

HTH

Kathy54 Sun, Jan-18-04 12:33

I was going to buy some, but then the recipes here and on other sites are so good, I never bothered, plus as you go along you just learn to adjust your old one, so I still have'nt bought any.
You say you hate to go online to get them, but why not take 1/2 hour and read through the threads in the recipe section and just print off a bunch, when you do your shopping list have a look through and buy accordingly.
If you still feel you need a book, go to Amazon ( right side bar) and read the reviews as well.

Kathy

MadCabbit Sun, Jan-18-04 15:27

I have the "Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook" and it is pretty great. Also, if you don't want to buy one (I'm not cheap, just frugal!), then get some from your local library and copy down the good recipes. :)
Leigh

glassgirl Sun, Jan-18-04 17:58

Hi all,

I too was looking to buy a cookbook a little while ago.
Instead, I got a binder, a three hole punch and gathered all the recipes I'd printed off the internet.
Every time I try one, I rate it and move on.
I did get a book though. The new Atkins Best Recipes. I have a friend who is 'concerned' about my veggie and fat intake and she got it for me, because she liked the sound of the recipes inside.
Admittedly, the ones I've tried so far have been good. I do get a little peeved at books with recipes that contain ingredients you have to buy form the compnay that published the book...
The Atkins website has far too many of those for my liking. The book is a little better.

4beans4me Sun, Jan-18-04 19:59

I received both of Dana Carpenders cook books for Christmas and love them both!

Shannonp Sun, Jan-18-04 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beans4me
I received both of Dana Carpenders cook books for Christmas and love them both!

I agree, I found lots of recipes in the 500 recipes cookbook that my family likes too. I hate to have to cook mulitple meals to make everyone happy so this was a huge bonus for me!