Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Introduction (finally!!!!!) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48987)

cecile Fri, Jun-28-02 07:06

Introduction (finally!!!!!)

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here for a long, long time. I couldn't get in when I first registered and I haven't had time since. My name is Joan (cecile is my middle name) and I am 50 years old and the mother of one adopted daughter, Ellie, who is 9. All my life I have had a small weight problem but to me it was big because I hated myself. During high school everone was skinny and I wasn't. I became a flight attendant and was on weight check for 5 years!!! Talk about humiliating. Then I discovered running and for several years I was OK. Women my age started gaining from babies and I didn't so they all caught up to me. I was pretty OK with myself until three years ago. I got breast cancer and the chemo treatment and subsequent tamoxifen put 20 pounds on me. Also, the chemo sent me through menopause in one month. I have tried everything to lose just 10 of those pounds and nothing has worked. I play hard tennis 3 - 4 times a weeks and work out with weights when I have time (which isn't often). I have known for a long time that I should get off sugar but it has been impossible. I have read every low carb book out there and could never last more than a day without sugar. I have read several journals (Nat, Marlaine(sp?), Homegirl, Not). I feel like I know you all. Anyway, Monday it finally clicked and I used everything you all have offered in the way of advice. So, TODAY IS DAY 5 OF NO SUGAR!!!!! I have been following Atkins induction but I think I will move to Protein Plan. I really want to eat healthy more than anything. I know the tamoxifen will make it hard for me to lose but Dr. Susan Love, author of the Breast Book told me that low carb might work for me. So, I am off on the adventure. I started using fitday and I will start a journal Monday. So, it is nice to finally "meet" you all. Joan

tamarian Fri, Jun-28-02 10:51

Welcome abaord Joan,

That's an interesting comment from your doctor. Was her comment made in person, or was it part of her book? We love intelligent doctors here :)

Wa'il

cecile Fri, Jun-28-02 14:37

My first reply, how exciting!!!

I emailed Dr. Love about my weight gain problem. She states in her book (in so many words) that gaining weight during chemo is the ultimate insult to injury. I mean, we have been through enough, do we have to gain weight too? But she never said why so I emailed to ask why I gained during chemo (wouldn't you think at least I would lose then?) and why so many women gain on tamoxifen. She emailed back that I gained during chemo because of the anti nausea drugs (no complaint there ;) ) and no one know why we gain on tamoxifen. I have seen breast cancer survivors gain 40 to 50 pounds on it. Anyway, then she said that I might try cutting down on carbs because women who are through menopause seem to lose better that way. Cool huh?
Cecile

destro Fri, Jun-28-02 20:28

Hi Cecile

I really enjoyed and admired your introduction and found much in it with which I could identify.

I suspect that I rarely went a day without eating some form of simple sugar: i.e. junk food.

I felt that I needed it: After all, Ben and Jerry were the BEST therapists going! Peanut butter cups were a form of religion to me.

BUT I finally did it. I have not had any simple sugars since early in April; I won't say it was easy at first but I will say that the cravings disappeared rather quickly.

Good luck; I know that you can do it!

Natalie

angelfish Fri, Jun-28-02 23:18

Welcome

Hello Cecile :wave:

Glad you decided to join us. I know you will get great support here. I never could have done so well with out this forum. There is so much here. I like the recipes and helpful insights of the mentors.

Don't worry about the cravings. They will subside. I believe if you could make it thought breast cancer you will do great with your desire to lose weight.

Best wishesh, Angelfish

angelfish Fri, Jun-28-02 23:18

Welcome

Hello Cecile :wave:

Glad you decided to join us. I know you will get great support here. I never could have done so well with out this forum. There is so much here. I like the recipes and helpful insights of the mentors.

Don't worry about the cravings. They will subside. I believe if you could make it though breast cancer you will do great with your desire to lose weight.

Best wishes, Angelfish

JasmineH Tue, Jan-04-05 12:40

Hi my name is Jasmine. I am 25 years old and I live in Sunny Florida. I began at 5' 7 and 138 lbs. I have been active all of my life, and have never been able to drop the extra 10 pounds. I was working out 5 days a week ( burning no less than 700 calories at the gym at each work out) eating right, working with a personal trainer...and still could only maintain my weight. I was so discouraged until finally a friend introduced me to the Atkins diet. Within 2 months I lost the 10 pounds! I have maintained this weight for 7 months. Now I only go to the gym twice a week for those vigorous workouts, and I am always satisfied with my meals. This diet is truly amazing! I get to eat like a Queen, I am full and satisfied, and the best part - I have finally lost the weight! Good luck everyone!

MissScruff Tue, Jan-04-05 23:31