Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Female Issue *Men beware* (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=139517)

NoSurender Fri, Sep-26-03 09:09

Female Issue *Men beware*

This is a delicate issue to post I know, but curious if this is/has happened
to any of you ladies here. Been LC'n for a month (long enough for
2 TOM's), I've noticed a big change in my TOM. Use to be about 7-10
days and heavy, but the last 2 have been more like 3-4 days and very
light.. :confused: I'm kind of assuming this has something to do with
insulin/hormone changes since LC'n? I do have an appointment
with my GP in a week and have a whole list :rolleyes: of questions for him,
this one I will add to it, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

*Feeling Sheepish :blush: about this, with all the men-folk here*
NoSurender

swtdrae Fri, Sep-26-03 09:16

I have my TOM Now. It does seem much lighter and I don't have any cramps. I really couldn't tell you why the change, but Please let us know when you do. Maybe we have nicer things to look forward to in the future?

wendy858 Fri, Sep-26-03 09:19

I've had 2 periods since taking on a LC woe and I too have noticed changes. I do not have nearly the intensity of cramping that I use to have. :thup: I just with the PMS would go away......that's still there! :devil:

becky160 Fri, Sep-26-03 09:26

I Had my 1st TOM being in induction, and it was HELL! :skull::skull::skull: Horrible Cramps, and lots of.....lasts the same time though. HAAAA and by the way....I PMSed for an entire WEEK!!!! Before used to last one day (Just before TOM).

Eri Z Fri, Sep-26-03 09:27

My first TOM lc-ing came when I had barely started: I was still on the Pill, and yet TOM came really early and lasted 7 days--but it wasn't a crampy & heavy TOM. Then it came 33 days later, was kind of normal and the most recent one was 26 days after that and also easy to bear--except I got a migraine toward the end (dehydration, I think).
I have a uterine fibroid, so I am interested in seeing how this affects me. I had been on the Pill to control bleeding. This month is the first I've ovulated since being off the Pill, so I expect a heavier period. I still drink coffee, and that is supposed to help fibroids grow.
It's one big adventure, ladies!
Eri Z

serrelind Fri, Sep-26-03 09:30

lol an adventure is right.

i'm on the pill myself and first 3 months it came like 2 weeks early. very spotty and unpredictable flow. this month (3rd month) it is extremely light, so light i wonder why it even bothered showing up!

hey_Neener Fri, Sep-26-03 12:40

All women are different and will react differently to LC during their period. I was irregular-and now much less so. I had bad PMS, and now just a day or two of the crankies. I seldom had cramps, and now they get hideous! Flow is different from month to month-but at least two days of bleeding like a stuck pig. I still get my pre-period pimples on my chin-but my face is clear the rest of the month.

hysteria Fri, Sep-26-03 12:47

I'd been off the pill about 6 months when I started LC'ing. The next month's TOM was pretty nasty & they have honestly gotten worse. PMS used to be a day or two before, now, at least 5 days. Cramps are deadly to where I have to use a heating pad at night and clotting is massive. I went back on the pill for a month in July & had to quit b/c of the tremendous headaches I was getting. It did control my PMS & cramping for that month though...

LovableLC Fri, Sep-26-03 13:05

At first they got heavier, now they are lighter. I'm used to having 10-12 day periods with EXTREMELY HEAVY flow. Now they are about 5 days and really light.

Oh and the clotting I used to have is completely gone. I'm also on a new pill, I think it's a combo of the pill and lc. And no more cramping. I used to be in bed for the first 1-3 days of my period in horrible pain.

TangieK Fri, Sep-26-03 13:45

Wow well I hope mine gets a little better! (I think it is slightly better now that I've been on Atkins for a couple of months) but for the most part it has gotten shorter, but EXTREMELY HEAVY and uncomfortable. However I have to admit my PMS is gone with the exception of the day I start, when I get the symptoms. Ah well... gotta love it.

Wenzday Fri, Sep-26-03 14:24

My mom called today to tell me she read an article that said when LCing your estrogen level increases a lot...so supposedly that mean heavier cramping and bleeding... :(

I dont understand though as my last one was HEAVY and longer than usual and this past one was pretty light and a normal length... and not the crampiest I've had either.

GabrielleG Fri, Sep-26-03 14:53

Mine seems to be worse. maybe a tad bit shorter its usualy only three days anyway but heavy. I actualy look forward to it though because the last two monthsI had a woosh right before it started. It was about four pounds both times. I was sure it was water but the weight never came back soo...

Gabrielle

serrelind Fri, Sep-26-03 15:02

i too read some article awhile ago that said lowcarbing will generally worsen your pms symptons.

Grimalkin Fri, Sep-26-03 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenzday
My mom called today to tell me she read an article that said when LCing your estrogen level increases a lot...so supposedly that mean heavier cramping and bleeding... :(

Can you find the article, or does anyone know more about this? I suppose the fat breaking down is releasing it, so it will stop eventually? I have John Lee's book on estrogen dominance around here, maybe it's time to look up some ways to keep estrogen levels down. IF that's what it is. I know caffeine and alcohol can make that worse, and I do still drink coffee (slap self on wrist :nono: )

skibunnie Fri, Sep-26-03 16:18

Yup exact same thing with me, its really a great thing!