Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   When you started OWL did you ?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125995)

sarah1976 Sun, Jul-27-03 09:13

When you started OWL did you ??

Follow the carbohydrate ladder of increasing by 5g in the following order?
vegies
cheeses
seeds/nuts
berries
wine etc
legumes
fruits and other berries
starchy vegies
whole grains

The thought of just adding more vegies or cheese totally depresses me, I can't eat any more of those things than i already do!!! I want to skip straight to the nuts or berries... :roll:

My husband says he is doing berries whether it says it or not...he can be so forceful at times lol

So i was just wondering for those that moved onto OWL if anyone else skipped more vegies and cheese and went onto berries or nuts and did it work out ok as far as weight loss ????

DarkLotus Sun, Jul-27-03 09:21

Yeah, I added them almost in that order. But I added fruits before wine and never added starchy veggies. Add the foods slowly and before you add more to see if that food stalls you. Once you add a few foods, then stall, it's harder to find the culprit.

sarah1976 Sun, Jul-27-03 09:23

wow quick reply! i love that about this forum!
ok thanks for the tip!
:)

tholian8 Sun, Jul-27-03 09:41

I added nuts, veggies, berries, yogurt (full fat strained yogurt, called "Greek style" here,) in that order. I never did stop drinking wine completely, so I didn't have to add it back in. I've been eating peaches for the past couple of weeks, but only one a day. So far I have not stalled, still losing about a pound a week, although it doesn't always show up "on schedule" due to water balance.

Emily

sarah1976 Sun, Jul-27-03 11:35

Hi Emily
Thanks for that...i think i will add in my own way too...see what happens, obviously if doesn't work I know i can just restart induction again and do it properly...
Just the thought of eating any more vegies and cheese than i already do now just depresses me....i have been longing for the nuts and berries part ever since i started!
thanks again
:)

RickinTN Sun, Jul-27-03 11:37

I am not in OWL yet as I have chosen to stay on a semi-induction stage. But, for an opinion. I think it really depends on the indivudal. Some will be able to eat any of it without any ill affects and some will have to follow it strictly. If I am one of them who has to follow it strictly when I get to that stage, I may be in trouble :lol:

sarah1976 Sun, Jul-27-03 19:57

hi RickinTN :)
yeah i think i will kind of be in semi-induction too...i have trouble even getting up to 20g of carbs anyway so i might even stay with that even though i will add 1/2 cup of strawberries/raspberries and see what happens....like you, if i am one of those that has to follow it strictly and follow the suggested order, i am not sure how i will go, i just can`t eat anymore vegies or salad than i already do and even adding more cheese totally bores me....i am also suffering with lack of appetite but i know i won`t have any problem stuffing down some strawberries and cream! yippeeee :yay:

Here`s hoping that you and I, can do it a little different and see great results!!!! :thup:

sarah1976 Sun, Jul-27-03 20:00

RickinTN -
WOW i just saw your stats and that is AMAZING!!!!! well done!
you should be super proud of yourself, that is definitly a job well done so far!!
good stuff :yay:

Skamito Mon, Jul-28-03 04:11

Hey Sarah, I think I went straight to the nuts and strawberries myself. Didn't seem to affect anything with me... I suppose I didn't lose any weight the first week after I started OWL but started losing 1-2 pounds a week regularly after that. Just count well and have fun! :)

anuksunamu Mon, Jul-28-03 06:27

I skipped straight to the nuts. This is my third week and I have not weighed yet, so I don't know if they will be a staller for me or not. I hope not. It's nice to be eating something else.

sarah1976 Sat, Aug-02-03 08:55

skamito -
thanks for answering....i added berries last week and i still am losing so i am going to add nuts next week i think and see what happens..i am still staying at around 20g of carbs too i haven't moved up to the OWL 25g and everything still seems to be working ok!
Thank GOD for strawberries i say!!! :yay:

sarah1976 Sat, Aug-02-03 08:58

anuksunamu -
wow you are very strongwilled not to have weighed yet, i know they say not too but i weigh continually i just can't help it...
We i am adding nuts in tomorrow and i did skip straight to berries this last week and it hasn't stalled me so i hope the nuts don't either!
Good luck to you :)