Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hello! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=77060)

Shellygloo Sat, Dec-28-02 18:14

Hello!

Hi!
I'm Shelly and I just started Atkins yesterday...I've been on it before, and I did lose weight...20-some pounds...though I have alot more than that to lose. :rolleyes: My sister and her daughter are on it, and I've been waiting until after Christmas to start back. I had to "get organized". You do have to stock your cupboards differently, as you know. I want to make a commitment to stay on this diet for good. It's a good diet for me because of my fondness for "fat foods". I need hope...and hope these forums will provide some support. Right now I'm on the <20 carbs per day program. The good news IS: now Splenda is available in all stores around here....and...I got a cool ice-cream machine for Christmas!!

Your friend and companion in low-carb,
Shelly

tofi Sat, Dec-28-02 18:37

Hello Shellygloo & welcome. (I thought you might live in the far north of Canada or in Alaska with that name.) I hope Atkins will be very successful for you again.

It will help to have the Splenda available but it might be best to stick closely to foods on the Induction List for the first 2 weeks and leave the sweet treats for the time after that. It would also help to maximize your loss during Induction and that is SO encouraging in the beginning.

How nice that you have other members of your family to accompany you on this journey. Keep in mind that you are making permanent changes to your way of eating (not just a diet) and that this is for the rest of your life.

All the best. :wave:

Kristine Sat, Dec-28-02 19:25

Hi Shelly! It sounds like you're mentally prepared - we do, indeed, have to do some reorganizing. I'm surprised at how many people still keep the junk food around 'for everyone else'. How can they resist? :confused:

Anyway, best of luck and success in the new year. :)

Shellygloo Sat, Dec-28-02 19:43

Hello tofi, Kristine & all,
Thank-you for the encouragment and advice! You're right, I need to stick to the induction program in the beginning. However, my downfall is "sweets" (sugar, candy, etc.) rather than starches (breads, rice, pasta). My goal during the next two weeks is to stick with the induction plan. I have a horrible habit of "overeating". When I get hungry, the answer is eating meat...especially in the beginning--the strict induction period. I'm also a veggie and salad lover, so this is a plus. I have a long.....way to go. Thank-you for your support...it means alot to me.
Shelly :thup:

sonja Sat, Dec-28-02 22:02

Shelly- I am just getting started. It sounds like you are off to the right start. I have lowcarbed before. It works.... I am having a hard time getting off on the right track. What did you do to get started? What foods did you buy? It is so hard having a husband and kids that eat all the time. Give me some advise.... :o :confused:

Shellygloo Sun, Dec-29-02 08:55

Hi Sonja,
Yes, getting started is quite a trip. To get started I keep trying to think--meat & salad, meat & salad.... I have a boyfriend that I cook for several nights of the week also a son (14 years old who eats a lot of everything right now). I'm lucky right now as my son is with his HS band at Disney World and my boyfriend is caught up with his visiting family.

I try to buy things that I really like and that are convenient. I started out by buying small portions of a variety of meats...just stuff for myself. 1-2 serving portions of steak and chops, frozen fish and a roasting chicken. I will take the breast meat from the chicken and make chicken salad to have on hand. I also bought the pre-washed, bagged salads. These are soooo easy--and so many varieties--romaine mixes, butter lettuce mixes, etc. Then I bought several bottles of my favorite super low carb salad dressings. If you haven't tried it--Kraft makes a good one called Parmsean Romano. I stopped in dairy and bought butter, heavy cream and crumbled blue cheese (which I like on salads or steak). Canned fish like tuna and sardines are convenient things to have on hand if you like these. Most people also get cream cheese and sour cream but I'm not crazy about these.

I plan on trying some of the recipes on this site--they look very good. I love the low-carb veggies but am going to focus on salad during my induction period to simplify things.

Going out to eat is challenging. Yesterday I was successful and was going out with my brother and sisters. I told them I needed to go somewhere that I could get steak or seafood and salad, so we went to Red Lobster. You see, if you order a regular dinner and then leave out the bread, potatoes, soups, etc., you can be left hungry, or at least feeling deprived (which is dangerous to me). They had "all you can eat shrimp" so I had a nice Ceasar salad, lots of shrimp scampi, and substituted broccoli for the potato. It was all very yummy and low carb.

Going back to work tomorrow and dealing with lunch will be a challenge. I'm looking for good lunch ideas. I'm into day 3 now! It is harder when you're cooking for more than one though. I feel like I'm getting a much needed break. Good luck Sonja...let us know how it goes and use this site as a support.

Shelly

sonja Sun, Dec-29-02 09:42

Shelly thank you for emailing me. I am going to the store today. I have done this before and it works. I know I felt so much better when I was LCing. It is getting started..... I have a 13 year old son that eats me out of the house. However, my husband has done this before and looks great. You know when you think there is no use why start,well that has been my mode. We ordered a swimming pool to have this next summer so I have to get busy. I stay tired all the time. I am ready to HAVE MORE ENERGY.... Do you drink a lot of water? I don't know if I can give up my dt. mt dew. I am ready to get started. Keep emailing me to keep me motivated. Keep up the good work. Good Luck.

shannonlea Sun, Dec-29-02 11:10

welcome

Welcome Shelly and Sonja!

Shelly- You seem off to a great start and very informed which will be so helpful.

Sonja- I still love my Diet Mt. Dew, but cut down to one a day and drink mainly water. Gotta watch those sweetners because they may cause stalls in weight loss I hear.. Good luck to all!