Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Is This A Myth Or True... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=204708)

BUTTERBALL Thu, Aug-19-04 14:42

Is This A Myth Or True...

Would A Person Who 'just Lc's' Loose The same Or So As Someone Who Exercises?

I Mean I Always Hear "if You Exercise And Diet (lc) You'll Loose More Than Just Dieting (lc) Alone.

So Is This True? And If So How Much To Exercise?? (ex: 30 Min 3x A Week)

rloveman Thu, Aug-19-04 14:47

I think it depends on what kind of exercise and how much, and maybe also just on the person. I've read postings from people who lost a ton without exercising. I can't lose much at all if I don't exercise, too. And the good Dr. Atkins said exercise was not optional. Aside from the weight loss, it has so many other health benefits that I think everyone should try to do something physical.

I'm a total couch potato, and very out of shape, but I've been doing half an hour jogging on a rebounder five days a week. Just switched this week to three times a week, plus three times a week working with weights. I know it will slow my loss on the scale, but I'm hoping it will speed up my loss on the tape measure.

black57 Thu, Aug-19-04 14:51

I lost 26 lbs without exercising although my job is rather physical. I began exercising regularly in November and I have not lost anything, however, I am losing lots of inches. I think the exercise will eventually cause the weight to move once all of the inches catches up with the amount of weight that needs to leave.

xotcbabe Thu, Aug-19-04 14:57

yes its true.. you'll lose more weigh if you exercise than just do low carbing..

you'll not lose weight in terms of numbers but you'll lose fat and gain muscles. I haven't exerienced it though, just a fact from ppl i know and i do see the results.. its really good :)

Lisa76 Thu, Aug-19-04 15:10

I can't say anything since I've only lost 2 or 3 pounds but I know I lost them once I started excersing

Talla Thu, Aug-19-04 15:17

To lose weight you have to consume less calories than you're taking in ( weight in fat ). If you exercise you can burn more calories. This allows you to lose weight faster, or allows you to eat more.

MsTwacky Thu, Aug-19-04 15:25

I'm a very slow loser.

That being said I exercise 3-4 times a week and low carb and I still only lose anywhere from 5-8 lbs a month. However I was lowcarbing and not losing anything before I started to exercise. So that tells me that exercise has really helped. :)

Soon2BSlim Thu, Aug-19-04 15:36

Butterball - the fact of the matter - Exercise is GOOD for you!
My experience with the whole exercise/low carbing is this:
When I only low carb, I seem to drop actual weight faster than with exercise. However, when exercising, you will still lose weight (at a slower rate - especially in the beginning), but you will be losing A LOT more inches. I can give you an example.

I was low carbing solidly for like 5 months late last year. I started exercising towards the last couple of months, and my weight loss slowed down, but I maintained, and made sure to take my measurements. It was frustrating at first that the scale wasn't really going down...but learn this from me now...the scale is EVIL, and you should be monitoring your measurements more closely than the scale. I started thinking about stopping the exercise program, but then I plugged in my stats into mybodycomp.com . They show you how much lean muscle mass you have, and how much of your weight is fat. I was losing fat and gaining muscle. I think there was one week where I had physically only lost 1 pound, but when I plugged in the numbers, I had actually lost 6 lbs. of fat and gained 5 lbs. of muscle.

It's also healthier to lose the weight at a steady pace...I mean, we've all been there and been SUPER excited about losing 7 lbs. a week...but that's just not really healthy (and it has a tendancy to come back easier if it comes off fast). Exercise will help you control the pace so it's steady and healthy.

Like everyone says, talk with your doctor about an exercise program that would best suit you...but my recommendation...do it! :) You'll still continue to lose weight, and you'll be so much healthier in the long run.

PKV Thu, Aug-19-04 16:55

It is the only time I lose weight and keep it off.....hope it helps

Sandie47 Thu, Aug-19-04 17:59

I can loose weight without exercising but I find I loose more inches faster when I exercise. I currently walk (briskly) for 1 hour and 20 mins a day and use our home gym (just started last week this one) lifting weights etc. for 30 mins a day. Since starting April 22nd I have lost 27 pounds and 35 inches. I have also gained 5 pounds of muscle according to my profile on mybodycomp. I also feel so much better health wise by doing so.

Sandie

LilaCotton Thu, Aug-19-04 19:17

Everyone needs to exercise at least some, although exercise for each person can be different. If you hate the work-out routine (like I do) you can do things like work in the yard, play with some small weights, take walks, and what have you. I have a 6-year-old and when we're in town and I feel up to it (I have chronic fatigue syndrome so sometimes exercise is very difficult) we have walking races through the stores. Of course this is great fun because usually he's giggling so hard by the time we finish he can barely stand. There are times when about the only exercise I manage is a walk in the yard--but at least it's something--sure beats sitting! :lol:

There've been some great points covered about exercise and losing, but one thing I didn't see mentioned is the fact that muscle burns calories. The more muscle mass a person has, the better their body utilizes calories because it takes a lot of calories to keep those muscles going, because they're actually moving, whereas fat just tags along for the ride.

There's also a rather rude thing about exercise--especially at first. When you start to build muscle, that new muscle starts taking on water, so once you do start exercising you can see a couple of pounds gain on the scale. Don't let this alarm you--it's normal, and eventually it will come back off, and as mentioned, even if the number on the scales don't move, your body will be changing shape--becoming smaller, more toned, etc. During the past month I've had the opportunity to be a lot more physically active than I am a lot of the time. The only thing I've seen on the scales is a number bouncing between 202 and 204.5. I haven't measured myself because my tape measure hates me and we argue a lot. However, now my clothes are much looser than they were a month ago. So, who cares if the 'pounds' aren't falling off--the fat is, and I have enough pounds that eventually more of them will start to go. :)

Sccuffy Thu, Aug-19-04 21:30

I like the way my body looks with exercise and not just weight loss alone, just think who would want legs with not muscles to show off, or be smaller but still be flabby around the middle, exercies is good for us, and it makes us look and feel better.

And exercies can take any form, just get up and move, dancing is exercies, so is taking a stoll in the park. Exercies does not have to be hitting the gym and running laps.

orchidday Fri, Aug-20-04 01:53

I have to exercise to lose weight. Without exercising, I tend to stall a lot and my weight loss is REALLY slow. Exercising keeps me from having weeks on end where I don't lose. I was on Atkins in 2001, and didn't lose as much or as consistently as I do now. Some people really do lose fine without exercise, but I was not one of them. Good luck to you! Orchid

bevbme Fri, Aug-20-04 05:52

I've never heard it called a myth.
I wonder about the change over from the emphsis on aerobic exercise to strength training. When I was young the only exercises were aerobic and you "carbed up" to run a race or do a aerobic routine.
Now the emphasis is on building muscle mass and raising metabolism. I think this is an improvement.