Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   NEw to Atkins!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=90659)

MAC Artist Wed, Mar-05-03 15:45

NEw to Atkins!!

HI everyone!

I've been lurking for awhile just reading all your great posts! I started atkins yesterday and I truly hope I get results!! I always seem to be battling with carb cravings. I do however want to mention that I feel like I'm eating way too much. Does the hunger subside? Should I add more FAT? I also am afraid of getting CONSTIPATED... I have a tendency as it is towards it.. what shoudl I do?? thanks all, and I will probably be posting more questions in these begining stages. I do by the way have the book and have read it :)

artiste

Yaseruzo~! Wed, Mar-05-03 15:55

Welcome to the LC WOE and to the forum! I'm sure you know by now how wonderful everybody here are, so I won't go into it right now :) I use psyllium hulls mixed in water. I usually take 2 tsp. in the morning which comes out to 16g or carb - 16g of fiber = 0 net carb. Some days I also use Equate stool softener to help me along. I also try to eat a lot of veggies that are high in fiber with every meal. I haven't had any problems with constipation since starting this WOE a little over a month ago. One thing I've noticed is that the poop sinks to the bottom now instead of floating (eww! gross!). Anyway, good luck, and I'll be seeing you around!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :wave:

BRON7 Wed, Mar-05-03 16:02

more fibre

Try making an omlet with ham, mushroom, cream, spinach and cheese add a tablespoon of Pshllium (SP?) husks to the mix before popping int a well buttered pan. I find this works well.
I am only on day 12 and have stalled but the first 3 days I just grazed all day on chicken, cheese and boiled eggs as well as having breackfast lunch and dinner. The last few days I have just been having 3 meals and an occasional snack. I thiink I need to use more fat as I read on one of the threads one person got a real "woosh" when upping fat. So will be making creamed spinach tonight - haven't had it in years as it was "bad"
Hope this helps.
You can use metamuscal if it has no sugar - I think there is one for Diabetics - check it out at your local chemist/drug store
Keep on keeping on and smile a little more each day
This Forum is a life saver!!!
Cheers

MAC Artist Wed, Mar-05-03 16:38

thanks for the feed back..one ?

i will definitely have the psyliium husk mix, I already have it in my cupboard :) THANK YOU soo much for responding.

I guess I'm still in FAT PHOBIC MODE and am afraid to eat fat. I also read that post on fat and found how increasing the fat can help a stall. But I"m assuming the HIGH FAT part of the program is only during induction and the first stages of the diet. ONce we reach our desired goal and have INCREASED our carbs considerably we'll have to decrease fat??? is this right??

BRON7 Wed, Mar-05-03 17:28

No I don't think so. I have several friends on "it" and one has lost 35KG now that is a lot of weight but she still has about 45KG to go. I am upping my fat as of today, cream in coffee OH SO decadent - creamed spinach/broccoli/beans Hmmmmm.
How much do you have to loose ?
Rosebud says that usually you loose 10% of what you need to loose during Induction - that is comforting. She is a forum monitor I think and also an Ausie like me.
Where do you live ?
I think this support line is just the best thing, everyone sure is helpful and so friendly.
It's great mate, so keep on smiling and have a 'poop happy day'.
Cheers
Bron

chysmith Wed, Mar-05-03 18:16

Re: thanks for the feed back..one ?

Quote:
Originally posted by MAC Artist
But I"m assuming the HIGH FAT part of the program is only during induction and the first stages of the diet. ONce we reach our desired goal and have INCREASED our carbs considerably we'll have to decrease fat??? is this right??

According to DANDR "Am I advocating a high-fat diet? Not in the long run. As you increase the percentage of carbohydrates, while advancing through the different phases of Atkins, the percentage and actual amount of fat you consume will diminish. However, as long as you are at the lower end of carbohydrate consumption, higher-fat consumption poses no threat to your health."

DDMariana Wed, Mar-05-03 18:26

MAC...

Good for you on the new commitment to LC! It's the best decision I've ever made after years of battling the body and trying every diet out there. I was a low-fat guru for a long time, and the FAT PHOBIA is very real. And was scary for me...

But I can't begin to tell you what I eat in a day now...between the olive oil on salads, fish, in the pan, flavoring the meat, etc. (and taking care of the bathroom business as well!) I bet I get in my share. But it's the FAT that is the essential part of your daily intake.

Your food balance should be around 65% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs... you can plug your foods into fitday.com to check out your numbers.

Don't worry about it at this stage...when you're hungry, eat! And keep the water UP there. The fat won't hurt you, so make sure you get enough!

Good luck,

:wave:

napalil Wed, Mar-05-03 18:40

1 Attachment(s)
I know how you feel. This is the beginning of my second week on Atkins and I was afraid to have bacon in the morning with my eggs. I still tend to measure (I was a Weight Watcher), and add 1 tbl. of butter to my eggs. But now I eat chicken with the skin on and although I feel guilty, those hot wings sure taste good! You will find a balance for yourself. It was suggested to eat 10-12 times my body weight in calories....I just can't! So then it was suggested to eat 10-12 times my goal weight! That works for me. Just watch nutrional labels and avoid sugar. If you drink diet sodas, buy Diet Rite made with splenda. Come back often like I do and read the helpful suggestions from everyone-and we'll see "less" and "less" of your stats!!
Good luck!
:wave: :daze: :spin: :spin: :roll:

MAC Artist Wed, Mar-05-03 18:49

HIGH fat then low fat?

Well just to answer your question BRON, i need to lose 15 pounds. So it will probably take alot longer for it to go even during induction. I'm 25 yr old female and workout about 4-5 times per week. NOthing seems to be working interms of diets thus far to get rid of these lagging 15 pounds. I've done the low fat high carb, the zone, BFL ect ect. So I wnat to give atkins a shot!!

I do drink alot of water about 3 litres a day IS THIs ENOUGH?? And how can I add more fat??? I've been adding oil and butter, but 65% seems like ALOT.. i am sure I'm not getting that much... please help with some suggestions! Thanks

artist

putch Wed, Mar-05-03 21:27

Eating too much

Hi,
The first 3 or 4 days I started, I thought I would go broke because it seemed like I was eating so much, cooking all the time, etc. It goes away once you stabilize your blood sugar and your body adjusts to what it's getting. Now, almost 2 months of Induction, I am eating FAR less and have just recently had the appetite suppressant feeling everyone talks about. YAHOO!