Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   My "fat rolls" feel soft and mushy now, is this normal? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170439)

meltinaway Tue, Mar-02-04 23:58

My "fat rolls" feel soft and mushy now, is this normal?

I have lost 60 pounds now and I have noticed that my "fat rolls" on my sides, my lower stomach and especially on my inner thighs feel like wet sponges. Before, they were much firmer (not too mention much bigger:lol: ) but now it feels soft and mushy. I am certainly not complaining but I was wondering if it is normal or what.

meltinaway Wed, Mar-03-04 00:03

Also, my stomach was hanging before I lost the 60 pounds and still is for that matter but I am worried that because of the way it feels, I may have to get surgery to have excess skin removed. Is there any correlation between hanging skin and the amount of mushiness you have?

Amazingly, I do not have even 1 stretch mark on my entire body either. I thought that might mean that my body would probably just pop back into place. I also pondered the idea that it might mean I am capable of expanding further before stretch marks appear GOD FORBID! :lol:

missaec Wed, Mar-03-04 00:06

Typically, the younger you are the more elastic your skin is. However, the more you weigh then lose the more likely you are to have excess skin. I say wait it out another 60-75 pounds or so and see how it looks. It is normal for your skin to get kind of mushy as your fat cells are being replaced with water. The water goes away though when your body realizes those cells won't be filled up again.

itsgottago Fri, Mar-05-04 08:34

I get mushy when I lose weight but give it a little time and see if it doesn't tighten up. You could be amazed!

AntiM Fri, Mar-05-04 09:51

Old Wife's Tales that seem to work for a lot of folk:

* Exercise
* Plenty of water

And IMHO, the most important thing is TIME. The faster you lose, the looser the skin. It's the one benefit of being a turtle! :)

And even if you are speeding down the scale, it will snap back depending on your age, genetics, how many times you've lost and gained, etc. It will just take time to see where you'll end up.

Your skin will keep getting tighter for years after you've reached your goal - as long as it's not a health hazard (like excess skin can be for some people), I think a lot of us jump the gun contemplating surgical removal.

Good luck!

redawn Fri, Mar-05-04 14:58

yup I call it the huge mountain turned into a hilly marsh part of low carbing. . .the kicker is that I will probably be 80lbs lighter this summer than two years ago. . .but how everything is literally hanging I am not sure I will be wearing shorts. And I need a new bathing suit. . .last summer I had to sew a huge dart in the front just so it would stay up. ~sigh~ but I look a lot better in clothes! redawn:)