Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Vitamins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=228219)

pad Thu, Jan-13-05 16:00

Vitamins

What vitamin supplements are you supposed to take while LC'ing ? . Currenlty I just take a multivitamin a day in the morning. Should I be taking more , also which is a good multivitamin to purchase ?

uskhi Fri, Jan-14-05 13:17

Dr Atkins recommends quite a variety of supplements and I have bought his basic 3 and Omegas when they were on 2 for 1 at Boots, from what the packet says they are much the same as a 'good' Multi vitamin and oil supplement.

I currently use Centrium multi vitamin and an Omega oil capsule just to be sure as when I did induction only taking a cheap multi vitamin I did get a feeling of muscle weakness (like I'd excercised hard the day before) especially walking upstairs, it disappeared as soon as I started on the basic 3.
Of course it could all be in my mind but I'm happier taking something for insurance.

I don't know what other regimes recommend but the Atkins book has a whole chapter on vitamins (as I remember, my copy is out on loan) but you'll find plenty of information on the forum.

pad Wed, Jan-19-05 03:11

Got myself some Centrium multi vitamins ..... Do you recommend taking 1 (as stated) or 2 (im sure i heard someone recommend we need to take more somewhere !)

actionjack Wed, Jan-19-05 03:49

I take Holland and Barrett, One/Super One time-release vitamins once a day.

nicnoc Thu, Jan-20-05 16:22

vitamins

I take multi vitamins every day, and I also like to take cod liver oil with evening primrose oil but it always has extra vit A and D in.

If I take the latter with the vitamins would I be taking too much??

LittleAnne Fri, Jan-21-05 02:32

Hi Nicnoc

In general, if you take the cod liver oil and evening primrose oil along with your mulit vit it is unlikely that you will be having too much Vitamin A and D. If you were to take several of each, each day, then you might. Have a read of the threads in the supplements forum here for more information.

nicnoc Sat, Jan-22-05 07:07

Hi LittleAnne
Thanks for your reply, I thing I'll start taking both every day. I've just sneaked a look at your profile, you are doing so well. Are you close to your target now. I've been on maintenance since last May and its forums like this that keep me going on this diet

Well done to you and thanks

Nic

Jems Mon, Jan-24-05 09:24

Basic dose for normal healthy person would be 1 multi vit & min, 1g vit C, & 1 high dose fish oil. Take them twice a day.

pad Tue, Feb-01-05 06:04

Im now taking 1 x Centrum Multi Vit , and 1 x High Dose Cod liver Oil. Is this sufficent ?
PS. Someone told me taking these suppliments will cause water retention ???!"?!