Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Need help with slow loss... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=63775)

FunSF Tue, Oct-01-02 07:25

Need help with slow loss...

I am really getting frustrated with the rate of loss I am having. I have been on Induction since the end of July and have been losing extremely slow. I have stayed pretting much on program. I did have couple of slips, only one day when I went complete on a binge, but other than that I have been pretty faithful to the program. I am feeling very good about being in contol of my eating, but at this rate I'll be dead before I ever get Thin......

I thouht this Atkins Diet was for quicker weight loss.

Please.....any sugguestion will help.......

Thanks.......

Sherry B Tue, Oct-01-02 09:35

How much have you lost?

and how many calories (estimate?) are you eating per day? Atkins is not always "fast" losses. It can depend on a lot of factors.

Is this the first time you've gone on induction? Have you been dieting a different way before?

You say it is "really slow" but you don't give enough information about how slow. Some times people think they are slow when in fact they are right on target.

Others simply do lose slowly. It could be because you are eating too much, or too little. There is really a pretty narrow range of calories we should stay within even on Atkins. You go too low and your body goes into a sort of starvation mode and slows your metabolism. You eat too many and your body has no reason to drop pounds. For most of us we can eat MORE food and be less hungry if we are eating mostly protein, but for some of us eating more protein makes us less hungry and we wind up eating way less food than we need, pushing our metabolisms into a slower mode.

The body WANTS to hang onto its fat. Fat is the body's assurrance against starvation during 'lean' times. It is there for self protection. Eat too little and it thinks lean times are already here!

Are you taking female hormones? like Birth control pills or Hormone replacement therapy? Those can stall your losses. Any other meds? Give us more details and we can give more specific advice.

Shark01 Tue, Oct-01-02 12:52

Every time I hear someone talk about slow weight loss, I think back to what someone told me a few months ago. I was complaining about only losing 1/2 lb per week. And they said "well what if you had started losing at that rate 5 years ago.....or where will you be in 5 years from now.......130 lbs lighter" That wouldn't suck would it :lol:

Great words to think about, life is a magical journey that manifests differently in everyone. Just find a way to live within the diet, and let the weight loss take care of itself.

By the way, I started losing at a faster pace the further I get into the diet, and September was my best month yet so things can change.

Victoria Thu, Oct-03-02 07:43

Fun,
You have lost 13 lbs. in two months. Why do you consider that a "slow" loss? Gosh, I wish I was losing 6.5 lbs. a month. Thirteen pounds is right on target for a healthy loss. Just keep doing what you're doing, and you will get the weight off. Noone loses at the same rate. SherryB was right tho...you need to consider how much you are eating. Have you heard of fitday.com? It's a free website where you can track what you eat. It'll let you know how many calories, protein, carbs, and fat you are eating in the day after you've logged in your food intake. ;) Victoria

suze_c Thu, Oct-03-02 08:28

influencing factors

Fun, there are SOOOO many things that can influence weight loss, and the rate which the pounds come off.You don't say whether you exercise,or are taking supplements,and are your clothes getting looser? I have dieted in the past where the scale went up 7 lb. while my measurements were down 35 inches! Look at all the factors that are unique to your situation, maybe then consider doing the fat fast atkins speaks of in his book... I would consider keeping a journal and analyzing your food ratios, i.e., how much fat,carbs,proteins, calories on fitday.com first, to see where you are with things. Not getting enough or getting too much can determine loss as well. Good luck with your journey~