Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Anyone want to walk around the world? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109106)

feather Wed, May-28-03 20:48

Anyone want to walk around the world?

I picked up my afternoon kids yesterday, and Lucy proudly told me that her class had just finished running to Cape Reinga. Which is the northernmost point of NZ. We live in Wellington which I think is about 900km away.
It seems their teacher had them all running around the track each day, and they added up the total mileage of the whole class over a period and found they had run the equivalent of 900k.

I thought if we add up the metres we walk each day, we might be able to walk a long way between us. I suppose the thing to do would be to add your total on to the previous total so we keep it running. Does that make sense? The problem is do we do it in miles or K's if we do it in miles someone will have to tell me how many yds in a mile. I learnt it at school but since we converted to metric I've forgotten

RGale Wed, May-28-03 21:30

Feather, what a cool idea!!

MisterE Thu, May-29-03 06:16

1st: I think your idea is brilliant. What a great added motivational tool to make walking fun. Everybody clocks in their miles/kilometers daily or weekly and as a group we get to watch the tally climb toward an around the world walk!

2nd: Due to health conditions I will not be able to add much in the beginning. But thru things like this, I expect to be able to add to the productive total before it's thru!

Count my hobbling butt in!

szar Thu, May-29-03 07:10

Sounds like a great idea!

1 kilometer = 0.6 miles
and
1 mile = 1.6 kilometers

So to go from kilometers to miles multiply the numeber of kilometers by .6 and you have miles. Multiply the number of miles by 1.6 and you have kilometers.

Mark

hatetocook Thu, May-29-03 10:42

Miles to Kilometers converter

I think this is a great idea-- I always wanted to be a world traveller!

Yea, for the internet! Always looking for that shortcut & found this link to convert miles to kilometers (or vice versa).

Miles/Kilometers Converter

Can we count the distance we travel on the various gym machines-- glider, rower, bike??

DarB Thu, May-29-03 10:45

Sounds like a fun idea, how are we going to keep track??
I can't do much right now due to an injury, but will hopefully improve over time, and be able to contribute more.

MsTCB Thu, May-29-03 12:24

Count me in, too!

Feather, this is a great idea.
I took my first walk outside yesterday. I only could go 2 city blocks. So, I won't be able to add much to the grand total each day--at least not at first. My back hurts so much when I walk.

But, this will make me feel like I'm walking in a group with you all at my side.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.

I live in Kentucky-USA and we use miles, but I would be glad to convert to kilometers each day.
I just bought myself a pedometer and I can set it for meters or miles.

Just let us know where to report the numbers each day.
:wave:

feather Thu, May-29-03 14:30

Cool I'm pleased you all want to join in. Of course we should count machines. I'm rushing off to work to day I did .78m 1.3k
So I guess the next post should just add theirs to the total. Perhaps someone more internet savvy could come up with a better way.
Total to Date. 78m 1.3k

MisterE Thu, May-29-03 16:15

Here goes, Folx!

"The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers )"

Got some serious walking to do! Get out the walking shoes and put the Walkman on and step to it!

hatetocook Thu, May-29-03 21:11

New total: 3.7 km

I did 1.5 miles on the glider & rower tonight, which the handy-dandy converter says is 2.4 kilometers.

Signey Fri, May-30-03 20:50

Me too! Me Too!

Can I ride my stationary bike? I wanna ride around the world! :roll:
Signey

Dewdropt Sat, May-31-03 14:53

What a cool idea. Count me in!

feather Sat, May-31-03 18:35

:wave: :wave:
Hi Signey & Dewdropt
I think we should be able to count anything that uses muscle power and involves distance. So definitely stationery cycles count. I'm just annoyed that I did about 20min at the gym on one and forgot to remember the distance. I did 2.6k on the treadmill this morning.

How do I get the notepad at the top?? (Whatever I did it worked :confused: )
New Total 6.3k

oldie Sat, May-31-03 19:56

:spin: :spin:
Add in my 9k from this week.

:hyper: :hyper::hyper:

New Total 15.3k (9.18ml)

Signey Sat, May-31-03 21:50

3.5 miles

Add in my 3.5 miles on the bike today. :D
9.18 miles + 3.5 miles = 12.68 miles
14.77 K + 5.63 K = 20.40 K
I hope I did this right.