Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   almond flour (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186909)

mrjoshua Tue, May-25-04 19:59

almond flour

does anyone know where i could get almond flour in the heart of houston, tx? i know there are probably places in all the suburbs, but i live in montrose and would like to not drive 20 miles....any help is appreciated!

blue4lemon Tue, May-25-04 20:02

I don't know....but in case you want it for frying, may I make a suggestion? Try pork rinds, crushed. They have zero carbs.

tofi Tue, May-25-04 20:13

Almond flour = almond meal = ground up almonds.

Many health food stores or bulk stores sell them. BUt I can't believe that almost every ordinary supermarket wouldn't have some form of almonds for sale. Look in the "baking supplies" aisle. If you find them whole or slivered, then just put them in a blender and give them a few pulses at a time. Don't blend too much or you'll have "almond butter". :lol:

blue4lemon Tue, May-25-04 20:15

Oh yeah, tofi is right, you could totally make your own with a food processor! Duh me.

PecanPie Tue, May-25-04 20:50

I have seen lots of "recipes" for making your own almond flour, and have bought Bob's RedMill and some from the Vitamin Cottage. The ones from Vitamin Cottage leave the skin on. This weekend I needed some almond meal so decided to toss some raw almonds, skin on, in the food processor. They came out just like the ones from the vitamin cottage and since I got the almonds from Costco it was a lot less expensive.

Give it a try!
PecanPie

TXAimee Tue, May-25-04 21:58

Have you tried Whole Foods or Central Market? I'm from Houston and I usually end up going there when I can't find it at Randall's or Kroger.

twinky Wed, May-26-04 04:23

I buy it in the Bulk section of my Local Grocery store

mrjoshua Wed, May-26-04 07:17

thanks for all the replies...i would make my own if i had a food processor. i have tried the coffee grinder and the blender and neither work that well. i'll try central market or whole foods....thanks everyone!

ValerieL Wed, May-26-04 07:21

I'm surprised your coffee grinder didn't work, I was going to suggest that. I bought a real cheap one from Walmart and have been using that. Works like a charm for me!

Valerie

mrjoshua Wed, May-26-04 07:24

mine may be a bit too good :)

i pulsed it a few times and had almond butter....i pulsed it once and had almond butter......just didn't work for what i needed...:(

shoer Wed, May-26-04 08:11

Can you use almond flour in place of regular flour or corn starch when thickening up something? (like sauces?)

mrjoshua Wed, May-26-04 08:17

yup. that's one of the things i'm going to use it for....