Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Help needed with cholesterol results (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=67155)

purnois Tue, Oct-22-02 17:11

Help needed with cholesterol results

Just got my cholesterol results in the mail. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. It says:

Cholesterol - 239
Glucose - 87
Triglycerides - 87
HDL - 45
LDL - 177 (with a note that says this is high)

There was also a handwritten note saying to decrease my saturated fats, increase my exercise and see my primary physician.

Help! I need to go back and see what my Atkins book says. Can anyone give me a quick brief on what they think? I'm not good at reading this stuff. And I don't want some doctor telling me that I am killing myself on Atkins. I was expecting fantastic numbers and I'm guessing from the results that they are not.

I need some advice...................

Should I be worried? Before starting LCing (last feburary) my cholesterol was 202. I need you experts to tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Kathy :rheart:

rustpot Tue, Oct-22-02 17:55

Cholesterol

Most self test systems give the following ideas of what is "normal"

Less than 200 mg/dL 'Desirable' is normally said to be the level that puts you at lower risk for heart disease. A cholesterol level of 200 mg/dL or greater is said to increase your risk.

200 to 239 mg/dL 'Borderline-high.'

240 mg/dL and above 'High' blood cholesterol. A person with this level has more than twice the risk of heart disease compared to someone whose cholesterol is below 200 mg/dL.

HDL cholesterol - High density lipoproteins (HDL) is the 'good' cholesterol. HDL carry cholesterol in the blood from other parts of the body back to the liver, which leads to its removal from the body. So HDL help keep cholesterol from building up in the walls of the arteries.

Here are the HDL-Cholesterol Levels that matter to you:

Less than 40 mg/dL A major risk factor for heart disease

40 to 59 mg/dL The higher your HDL, the better

60 mg/dL and above An HDL of 60 mg/dL and above is considered protective against heart disease.

However there is no real consensus as to what causes cholesterol to increase. Large amounts are created by the body and are not necessarily related to dietary consumption. Both Atkins and Dr Eades writing in protein power have suggested that far from increasing cholesterol their diets should be beneficial in lowering the cholesterol.

All suggest checking the levels before you commence the diet.

It is not clear when you had the previous test and you do not say what the HDL level was.

I am not a Dr. so cannot give you any medical advice, but I do believe the Dr's Atkins and Eades in this respect - of itself a low carbohydrate diet should not have an adverse effect on blood cholesterol.

However there is a lot of good threads and research articles on this site about "good" fats and "bad" fats. This is worth further research before all saturated fats are consigned to the waste bin.

Exercise however is always good advice. :)

Redd Tue, Oct-22-02 21:04

Great post! My cholesterol before the start of atkins was around 300 :eek: (that was in march) Four weeks later is went down to 187. I have been tested since and was 153 as of last week. My doctor is fully aware of my low carb lifestyle, after several months of monitoring, it became apparent that my cholesterol was the result of genetics, dont freak out yet. I am currently taking lovastatin, and will know if it is helping with my next test three months from now.

purnois Wed, Oct-23-02 16:43

Thank you!

Rustpot,

I sure appreciate you taking the time to answer my cholesterol question.

My previous test was about five months before I started LCing (the 202 one). That was the only number I was given (or remember being given) so I don't know HDL level. Wish I did.

I am really committed to my new WOE and will have to get myself into research mode and do more searching. Meanwhile, I have no intention of going back to my old eating habits in which I LIVED on carbohydrates. No matter what my cholesterol numbers were then, I know in my heart I am eating healthier now.

Again, thank you so much for the information!

Kathy