Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chromium dosage (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48197)

Chloep Thu, Jun-20-02 09:07

Chromium dosage

I got myself a Mega Chromium thats 500mcg per pill.

It says to take once a day.

But I just found out that its recommended that we take no more than 200mcg per day ??!!

Shd I ditch it ?

Natrushka Thu, Jun-20-02 09:25

From supplementwatch.com

Quote:
The most widely available supplements are chromium salts such as chromium polynicotinate, (ChromeMate from InterHealth Nutraceuticals), chromium picolinate (ChromeMax from Nutrition 21/AMBI) and various chromium/amino acid chelates - which help increase the absorption and availability compared to isolated chromium salts such as chromium chloride (which has an extremely low gastrointestinal absorption rate)

No Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) has been established for chromium, but the ESADDI (estimated safe and adequate daily dietary intake) is 50-200 mcg. Natural forms of supplemental chromium, such as chromium-rich yeast, may be absorbed somewhat more efficiently than inorganic forms of chromium, such as chloride, found in some supplements. One ounce of brewer's yeast provides approximately 100-200 mcg of chromium.

I think it's going to depend on what kind of chromium you have. I would not exceed the ESADDI, though.

Nat

Rosebud Thu, Jun-20-02 09:49

Hi Chloe,

I wouldn't ditch it. Dr Atkins says in DANDR (2002 edition) p 305 "Basic #3 contains 300 mcg, which is sufficient for most individuals. Others may need up to 800 to 1000 mcg per day."

I take 400 myself. (they are 400 mcg tablets)

At this stage of my LC journey, I'm pretty happy to accept the Gospel According to Atkins.

HTH

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Chloep Fri, Jun-21-02 08:28

Thanks

I think i'd take the 500mcg chromium on the EVEN days.

to make sure i don't kill myself :)

been popping alot of supplements like CLA, HCA and L-carnitine.
its been mind boggling !

Libbyfcr Fri, Jun-21-02 10:17

Chromium

Chromium can be found in..... cheese, meat, whole grains, brown rice and brewers yeast..... it is in dried beans, molasses, calf liver, chicken, corn and dairy products..... dried liver (ew!).....dulse, eggs and mushrooms...and potatoes. It is in red clover, sarsaparilla, horsetail, licorice, nettle and catnip. Oh yum... catnip! Just what we all like to eat.

In the Calp book the Hellers recommend Glucose Tolerance Factor Chromium which is labeled "certified biologically active". Their book says that the National Research Council says that 50 to 200 micrograms of trivalent chromium each days is the "safe and adequate" daily intake recommendation.

Take your Chromium at the same time every day, but do NOT take it with food or medications. Zinc can interfere with the absorption of Chromium. Take it with water and nothing else.

Libby :wave: