Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   coffee (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=92172)

johndeb420 Thu, Mar-13-03 10:33

coffee

i've been on low carb for 15 days first week lost 8 lbs since then nothing!!! hav not cheated however i have not given up coffee help

vbrowne Thu, Mar-13-03 10:35

why don't you post a couple of menus. Caffinated coffee sometimes causes a stall in some, try 1/2 caffinated and 1/2 decaf to wean yourself.

Vikki

johndeb420 Thu, Mar-13-03 10:44

yesterday typical 2 porkchops for lunch
3 hotdogs w/sauce..homemade no sugar maybe a quarter cup tomato sauce burger...with chedder cheese
a few pork rinds for snacks

Alina Thu, Mar-13-03 10:50

Don't be mad but you are the the number 5 person I meet today who did not read any book about this WOE. I'm chocked. How are you supposed to know what to do? This is your body and your health we are talking about....
Get info ASAP.

Good luck!

Alina

yvonne326 Thu, Mar-13-03 13:17

I didn't give up coffee either and don't plan to. I drink 2 10 oz mugs daily AND I've been losing weight. Your body is adjusting - - always does when you lose a lot quickly and what you lost is a lot - CONGRATS - - so give it some time and you will start losing again and just because the scale doesn't say a loss...your body is losing inches.... :)

Frederick Thu, Mar-13-03 13:25

Hi John,

From my experience, coffee or tea didn't appear to pose any impediment whatsoever to weight loss.

I’m not exactly sure from where we’ve gotten this notion that a little caffeine will halt our metabolism. If anything, from some of the articles I’ve read, a little caffeine before cardio exertion not only prolongs endurance but also necessitates our body to more efficiently burn fat.

In my view, two cups of coffee per day ought not be enough to deter your efforts.

Best of luck!

jeanyyy Thu, Mar-13-03 13:32

We got the idea from the Atkins book! :D

Tracy916 Thu, Mar-13-03 13:44

I gave up caffeine during induction based on Dr. Atkin's view that caffeine may have an impact on blood sugar. I have a friend who started Atkin's last year and she never stopped drinking coffee. It did not effect her ability to drop 35 pounds and several inches. I recently started back on regular coffee and I have not noticed any slowdown in my progress. :rolleyes:

Frederick Thu, Mar-13-03 13:45

Quote:

Originally posted by jeanyyy
We got the idea from the Atkins book! :D

Ok, this was embarassing. LOL

However, I take solace that under my profile of LC books read, it reads, "reading Atkins" and not actually having "read Atkins".

Forgetful moments like these, one can only hope to obscure with semantics.

jeanyyy Thu, Mar-13-03 13:56

Actually, it looks like John may not be eating ENOUGH.. at least from what he posted?

jeanyyy Thu, Mar-13-03 13:57

Hehe, Frederick :) That was funny!

Kaillean Thu, Mar-13-03 14:08

I don't think Dr. Atkins ever said caffeine will make you stop losing. He says that caffeine can lower your blood sugar. So I suppose the problem is that if your blood sugar lowers you may feel hungrier or having more cravings.

If it's working for you, I wouldn't worry about it.

K.

Teuthis Thu, Mar-13-03 17:13

Caffeine

I think its a very good idea to wean yourself from caffeine. Whatever works for you to do it is worht the effort. It's probably not going to stop your weight loss, but its definitely not good for you long term.

Good Luck!

theresa113 Thu, Mar-13-03 17:46

Here is a funny thing. A few days ago a friend gave me a bottle of Atkins Axcell. It is an axcellerator to help with weight loss. Guess what is in it? Caffiene! 50 mg!

Funny, huh? :)

S_Hysmith Thu, Mar-13-03 17:52

Caffeine is one of the few vices I have left. :D

Actually, I was leafing through my mother's dogeared copy of the original Atkins book and it says nothing about caffeine, so it must be a more recent opinion of his.

I still love coffee, but in the interest of saving a few carb grams at the beginning of the day I've started alternating with strong brewed tea (English Breakfast) as an LC alternative.