Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Struggling with protein (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98474)

Shira Sat, Apr-12-03 23:40

Struggling with protein

Help. I started Atkins about 2 weeks ago. I felt great all thekj time. No headaches etc. I haven't a clue if I lost any weight, but the response from others that whatever I was doing - I should continue doing. Apparently I was looking great.

BUT ... I am struggling with eating protein morning noon and night. Any suggestions??

DDMariana Sat, Apr-12-03 23:48

Hi Shira...

Sometimes I don't get in my protein at every meal, and on Atkins I don't think this is a problem...

Can you post a sample menu for your normal day? That might give a better picture...

Sounds like others are noticing that you're having good results! You must be doing it right :D

nikkil Sun, Apr-13-03 05:35

I couldn't believe how much protein is in chicken! Try eating 'pure' proteins (ie meat) rather than something that's a mix (ie eggs, cheese). If you don't already, go to FitDay and enter what you're eating and find out the ratios for fat/protein/carbs. Should be around 25% protein. I've found chicken to be super versatile and it's high protein. One of my favourite breakfasts is scrambled eggs with chopped up leftover chicken in it and mixed peppers-yum! Also, in salads and have some cooked leftover meats in fridge (in ziploc) to grab for a snack.

Also, what about lc protein shakes??

Nicole

Shira Sun, Apr-13-03 15:30

too much protein

Thanks for your replies. I know that the one thing I have been doing wrong is indulging in too much yellow cheese. The problem is that although I have been eating fairly well Cheese and celery in the morning, tinned salmon and salad for lunch, and chicken/meat plus salad for dinner - my head has been taking me to carbohydrates all the time!!!!. I don't think I am at all hungry - just craving carbo's and the fact that they are restricted makes them all the more attractive. Even my kids' cereals are starting to look good. (I have 4 kids)

Karrahs Sun, Apr-13-03 15:39

I sure know that feeling!! I am the only one in my entire family low carbing, the only one really losing weight, and the only onw not a llowed to have everything in the house!!! I am constantly butchered by cereal, bread, rice, pasta, sugar, and ever othere carb imaginable. you can do it!! If you stick to it long enough, the cravings will get smaller, and like me, you can indulge a little every once in a while if you can wihtout binging. I've found that the more I tell my family about how well I'm doing, hten the better they are about me throwing hte bun away on sandwiches, and loading up on the mayonnaise. They still are wary about me, since I usually eat mostly protein and fat, but they are getting better since they know now that I weight 14 pounds less than when I started this WOL!
Good Luck on our Journey!

Shira Sun, Apr-13-03 16:10

I think possibly I panicked at all the protein and fat which has been a big NO till I read Atkins and started. Thanks for your encouragement - you seem to be doing really great!!!

Kathy54 Sun, Apr-13-03 16:59

Oh I hear you gal, It took me weeks to get over eating things I had drilled into me was bad for you................. Like I've said so many times in this forum, Low fat, only got me fat, LOL

RElax and enjoy, good luck, Kathy

Shira Sun, Apr-13-03 23:36

Thanks Kathy - I have to undo a whole lot of years of low fat stuff.
I am a bit hesitant about this. Somehow we seem to have the medical world on a pedestal and most of them say FAT IS THE ENEMY.